Question About Replacing A Grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdr05a

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1992 GMC k3500 regular cab from a local seller. It has low sort of low miles, but well... it needs some work, though the 4x4 trans. works well.

Anyway, it has this crappy oem plastic grille with little headlights. My first mission is to replace that. Apparently GMC changed its grilles in 1994. However, the radiator support is the same. If I purchase a post-1994 chrome grille with the bigger headlights, would it be compatible?

I'm new here, and pumped about getting some advice,

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The headlights are the same size, however the parking lights are different sizes, as well as the corner lights. It is compatible, basically plug and play, but you would need the parking lights and corner lenses.

I would also stray away from the All-Chrome grille as I have heard of durability and fitment issues. Try and find an OEM, or aftermarket "ready-to-paint" grille and paint it to match.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your going to also need to get the filler pieces that go between the gill and bumper

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apparently GMC changed its grilles in 1994.

GMC and Chevy both changed grilles in '94. The pre-'94 parking lights can be made to work with the newer grille, but they look odd when done that way. I'd suggest a new set of those.

gdr05a

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the help! So it sounds like I can do it, but I need to buy new lights.

...This might be a stupid question, but are the inner brackets replaceable so that I can put on the newer grille?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the help! So it sounds like I can do it, but I need to buy new lights.

...This might be a stupid question, but are the inner brackets replaceable so that I can put on the newer grille?

Yes. They just bolt to the frame rails.