Purchasing a remote start..help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a remote start. I'm scared shiftless. I don't know one from another any info experience would be appreciated. My wife has had compustar in two cars worked great no issues. For a little more I can pick up a viper Which from what ive gathered has been around and is high end. Just want a good reliable unit. Thanks in advance

-Adam

ThePlague

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot what brand/model they use for my remote start, I had it installed at cartunes for a x mas gift from my parents

still works like a charm.

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
look for name brands and ones that says 1 mile range and just get a alarm/remote start unit i have the autopage c3-rs-915 and a code alarm
with similar features also.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score

HRCVTR

Reaction score
Im a newbie here ...but im also in the mobile electronics industry ( installer since 88) I gotta agree with Caprice . DEI stuff is the best you can get . I also refuse to use compustar ..there has ruined my day & wasted way too much of my time on several occasionz ..Even when installed right ..they seem to have some fkn issue . Dei always works when installed right . ..stick with Dei !

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I run Clifford alarm/remote start system.
I like it.
You must be registered for see images attach

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys I'm leaning towards the python 413. Actually I like the viper 4104 a little better

-Adam

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
That Python 413 is the same as the Avital 4103. The remote is actually smaller than the 4130. It feels weird when I install them. I tend to keep the 4103's in stock over the 413's. I have the upper end Pythons in stock and keep the entry level ones as Avital. They cost the same either way.

That Clifford mentioned a few posts up is also a DEI product. It is one below Viper. That is the LC3 system One Mile Range model.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
ive used all dei and even the cheap no name alarms.... IMO they mostly work fine. but the 1mile away info doesnt always work! remember walls and trees and even low battery can effect range!
now if you want a super badass alarm get one with the iphone app so you can pay the extra annual fee (yes the price yearly does kinda suck BUT being able to check status where ever you have a cell reception seems VERY VERY NICE!!!!) and its also a extra addition to most DEI alarm systems.
i bought a python smartstart system for my brothers cavilier but i have yet to install it yet. because he is a lazy bum and not giving me a week or two week free time frame to instal it. (and thats just because im swapping out his whole dash as well as the alarm system) it shouldnt take that long BUT i dont wanna be rushed and his car is already a PITA just to swap the dash out! stupid cavilier!

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was a Crimestopper dealer for about 20 years. Last year I switched to DEI (Python/Avital) because I kept having complaints about poor rannge with the newest remotes and Crimestopper wouldn't do anything about it. I really didn't want to switch, but Crimestopper decided to kinda screw all of their dealers by now selling directly on ebay and other sites for almost the same price that a dealer would pay. Pissed alot of people off, and my distributor was one of them. They simply stopped carrying their product.

Python/Avital/Clifford/Viper are basically the same product with a different remote. Clifford and Viper are a Direct line (requires substantial quarterly commitment to buy X amount of product), while Avital and Python are available from distributors (can buy in much smaller quantities).

I was apprehensive about switching to DEI, because I had installed some of the older systems (with outboard relay packs), and wasn't impressed. Also the fact that I had done the Crimestopper usits for soo many years and knew them quite well. The new Python 413/411 & Avital 4103/4101 systems are great units and reliable as can be. They are reasonably priced and offer many features. They have excellent range and do what is expected of them. I personally like the Avital remote more than the Python, but otherwise these systems are exactly the same.

I have a Crimestopper RS4-G3 in my '96, but sometime soon plan to swap it out for an Avital 4103. The RS4-G3 remote was the worst Crimestopper ever made.

One thing to add - Remote Start installation is sometimes more important then the actual product. If it is hacked in, then sometime, somewhere it will fail.