Purchasing a remote start..help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DEI has an RFID keyless entry only unit. I've installed a few. I even have one in my company car. It works great. It's a fairly new product. i believe it is model 2101. It has a starter disable as well and would work great as a passive ignition kill on older vehicles that people are not interested in putting a full security system in.

Elliott

Reaction score
I have a Compustar in my 96, It's just a remote start and key-less entry.. works great at lock and unlocking but the remote start sucks.. I had a buddy do it, he's done 3 Compustars in his Chevys and they work great. He goobered something up cause when remote started the transmission wont downshift into first. I thought about taking it to a professional to fix it but I feel bad taking a hot mess into a shop.

That being said, I'm thinking about putting a whole new Remote start/Key-less/Alarm. Are there any of these DEI products that wont work with our trucks?

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I ended up getting a compustar works well def wish I had gotten 2way. When I get one for my truck im going to look into viper I like there remotes and I like how they offer alot of plug and play modules

Adam

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Compustar in my 96, It's just a remote start and key-less entry.. works great at lock and unlocking but the remote start sucks.. I had a buddy do it, he's done 3 Compustars in his Chevys and they work great. He goobered something up cause when remote started the transmission wont downshift into first. I thought about taking it to a professional to fix it but I feel bad taking a hot mess into a shop.

That being said, I'm thinking about putting a whole new Remote start/Key-less/Alarm. Are there any of these DEI products that wont work with our trucks?

The issue is a second ignition wire needs powered up. This is a very well known issue with '90's GM cars & trucks with electronic transmissions. Most remote start installs need only a single ignition wire powered up (power when key is on and turned to crank). This is the pink wire in your truck's ingnition switch harness. This is all that is needed to 'start' the truck. However there is a white wire (PCM power) that will test the same way (power when key is on and turned to crank) that has to be powered as a 2nd ignition wire (most modern remote start units have a second wire that can be either ign or accy, but if not then a relay will need to be added to power this second wire). This is a simple fix and will correct your issue.

Most 'seasoned' remote start installers should know this. It was a common mistake back in the days when GM first went to PCMs that control the engine/transmissions. IIRC some 1991 trucks and all later trucks required this second wire for remote start.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
+1 for DEI. I have run 4113s (just remote start) on a couple of my vehicles. my red truck has a 5103 (remote start/keyless and security) looking at a 4103 (remote start and keyless) on my current truck... IMPORTANT NOTE. If you have a factory keyless entry you can install a cheap 4113 and use your FACTORY remote to remote start the truck by pressing the lock button 3 times. it requires adding a relay and your range is shorter because your just using the factory remote/antenna which is garbage, but I know some people really like that option.

I install DEI products at work and have had very good luck with them.