Probably a stupid question but....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you know if your truck has been cranked? My truck has a 3" body lift, which has nothing to do with torsion bar crank, and sits level, no rake. With no rake does it mean it's been cranked? I don't presently have any pics, truck is in the garage waiting for a new hub assembly to be put on. Was thinking of getting a set of 2" lift blocks for the rear and crankin the front. How much height can you reasonably gain in the front end with just cranking the bars? I know that cranking isn't a substitution for a lift kit, but was just curious about these things. I appreciate any info guys, thanks in advance.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i dont think there is a way to tell but you would have to look at how much bolt is sticking out if there is a lot they prob havnt been cranked but if there isnt alot of bolt showing they have been your best bet is to crank the front to the desired hight and then buy blocks to mach how much lift you get from the front so you dont have a ridiculous amount of rack because your blocks are to big

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
It's like this. A 4" lift kit and a 6", is the exact same as far as the front end goes. The way they gain that extra 2-3 inches is t-bar crank.

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response guys. I also noticed that the bumper has been trimmed, so someone had some bigger tires on it before I bought it, so chances are it has been cranked and left that way. Also, if someone was to crank them all the way up, would it be hard on the front end components? I wanna say I've read that front end parts wear out faster with fully cranked tb's? This isn't something I'm planning on doing tomorrow, just looking for info for future plans.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response guys. I also noticed that the bumper has been trimmed, so someone had some bigger tires on it before I bought it, so chances are it has been cranked and left that way. Also, if someone was to crank them all the way up, would it be hard on the front end components? I wanna say I've read that front end parts wear out faster with fully cranked tb's? This isn't something I'm planning on doing tomorrow, just looking for info for future plans.

It will ride like a crooked dick, and it's a little tough on your ball joints. Not to bad though.

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will ride like a crooked dick, and it's a little tough on your ball joints. Not to bad though.

LOL, no one wants a crooked dick! I don't wanna run huge tires, 35's at the most, and I'm a fan of the "stuffed" look, so I would go with the least amount of crank that I could. Would I even have to run rear blocks with a 3" body lift to be able to run 35's?

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
LOL, no one wants a crooked dick! I don't wanna run huge tires, 35's at the most, and I'm a fan of the "stuffed" look, so I would go with the least amount of crank that I could. Would I even have to run rear blocks with a 3" body lift to be able to run 35's?

I hate body lift's, so I don't know much about spacing and ****, but most stock trucks can run 33's. Crank the bars 2", buy an "add a leaf" kit, and put some 35's on that *****.

skaneever

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate body lift's, so I don't know much about spacing and ****, but most stock trucks can run 33's. Crank the bars 2", buy an "add a leaf" kit, and put some 35's on that *****.

I was never a fan of the look of em either, but it was on the truck when I got her. It's kinda grown on me. I still probably wouldn't put one on if it was stock tho. So it would need a little help in back for the 35's. Thanks man, you've been a great help.