Precision u joint blew after 2 weeks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I noticed the u joint in my drive shaft at the t case was a bit sloppy. I went down to napa to get it replaced, I pulled it right out in the parking lot and they popped in a new precision u joint. I put the shaft back in and the truck was driving smooth as silk. This is my secondary vehicle so it gets used very little. Maybe about 200 miles at most on the new u joint.

Was driving home tonight with some shelves that I picked up. Most of the ride home I noticed a vibration and didn't even think it could be a u joint but it felt like it. About a mile or so from home i heard a pop and the vibration became extreme and I pulled over very quickly. I looked around but didn't see anything. Limped it home and got in the drive way, went to back up and the u joint just popped apart and the drive shaft was disconnected from the yolk.

I just threw out the recipet a few days ago, typical. I'm gonna call that same napa in the morning and let them know what happend. I'm courious to hear what they will say but I expect them to make it right by replacing the u joint free of charge.

Sorry for the extended rant, just looking to hear thoughts and oppions about this situation. Thanks

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure I know what you mean.

As far as I know, there is only one way to install it.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clocking is the position of the u-joints relative to each other. They have to run in line... I'm assuming it's a two piece driveline in which case if they took it apart to press a new u-joint in it may not have been put back together correctly.

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Can u explain more of that ruger? Im not aure what you mean

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
It means that the driveshaft and yoke part have to stay in the same position as they were when the original "U" joint was joining them. Usually, you mark each of the pieces so they go back together in the same relation as before.
Trouble is, now you dont know if that was done

Last edited:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I doubt that was done and your right, there is no way for me to tell which way it has to go now.

Only option I see at this point is to have them install a new u joint

Last edited:

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other thing that could have happened is the ears on the yoke spread when they pressed the old u-joint out. Then when you put a new u-joint in it doesn't turn freely.