Precision u joint blew after 2 weeks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It turned pretty freely I thought before I reinstalled the shaft.

I called napa this morning about it and they said they will swap in a new one free of charge

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
clocked and timing a joint are the same thing...

you can change it by turning it which ever way it needs to at the carrier bearing where they connect...

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just took out the drive shaft, looks ok. One end cap is still in the drive shaft and the rest of the u joint is in the yoke. What I think happend is the c clip came out and allowed the end cap to vibrate out.

clocked and timing a joint are the same thing...

you can change it by turning it which ever way it needs to at the carrier bearing where they connect...

That is only on extended cap models, my truck is standard cab so it's a one piece drive shaft and the yolk, that's it.
I think what they mean by clocking the drive shaft was the yolk had to be put back the same way as when it came off in conjunction of the drive shaft

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well then I don't think you could get it out of time, should only be one way to do it. The snap ring coming out is more believable.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay... If you have a one piece drive line then there's no way it could have been clocked wrong. Must have been that snap ring then.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ex cab is a one piece but my 00 crew cab and 93 cab and chassis are 2 piece. I always thought they had a blank spline so you can mess up.

Source Unknown

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ex cab is a one piece but my 00 crew cab and 93 cab and chassis are 2 piece. I always thought they had a blank spline so you can mess up.

Source Unknown

My standard cab is two piece and it's a blank spline so you can screw it up if you're not paying attention.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I asked if I should grease it but the kid say it's already pre greased so I didn't add any grease which was dumb now that I think about it.

Got back home a short while ago from napa, luckily the owner was there and he made sure the new u joint was properly installed. I checked it good myself and it looks good.

Will install the shaft back in the truck tomorrow.

And oh yeah, the owner said to grease it, I was going to anyway this time around.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The grease zerk should be installed on the compression side of the drive shaft's rotation. That way the torque is compressing against that zerk. If it's not on the compression side, then the rotational torque wants to separate the universal at the zerk, which is the weakest point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseamani55