Powertrain jolting at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...but still can’t achieve +2* to -2* camshaft retard degrees with the scanner it seems to still be defaulting to -45* no matter what I do. Not sure what else could cause this other than a worn out timing chain.. thanks for the help guys really appreciate it

What code are you getting?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
'96+ is NOT my specialty...but I don't understand how 45 degrees off of correct position could be a timing chain.

Like 454 said, the fact that it doesn't change is a problem, but the 45 degrees he's off by is a lot less movement than a TBI or carb distributor.

Liam Oswald

Reaction score
Brought out the multimeter again and figured it, out my ground wire was ripped in half inside the connector for the cam sensor. Spliced a new connector in now I got it timed to 0* no more issues/codes

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bit late here. Had the same issue, on a freshly rebuilt engine and trans, new TC too. Had a cam position sensor code. Cause of harsh TC lockup turned out to be ignition timing being slightly advanced. Just had to get a BT scanner capable of reading the cam position sensor retard and got her dialed in.
I was also having the same 45 degrees issue with my scanner at first. Did some poking around and found the CMP connector not even plugged in.
Here's my thread on it.