Bogging/stalling & harsh tc lockup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm planning to take my yukon on a 1000 mile trip and I want to see if I can get these issues ironed out.
I rebuilt the engine about 2k miles ago, got it running in April. It's never run right. It likes to bog down when you're coming off of idle unless you're real light on the throttle. It also idles sorta rough. Some days are worse than others, but on all days you can easily get it to stall by stepping on the gas, even in park. It never really stalls unless provoked by doing that. Sometimes it feels like it'll miss once or twice while going down the road but it's nothing too severe. Runs pretty good once it gets going.
I've poked around with an OBD scanner and nothing looked glaringly off. I have a cam position sensor code though. I think the issue with this is that I didn't get the timing set right when I put the distributor back in when I rebuilt it. Any other ideas? What's the timing advance supposed to be at idle? I'm thinking of buying a new distributor and trying to get the timing dialed in right later today.
I also have a harsh tc lockup, and sometimes it's real harsh, jerks the whole truck. I rebuilt the transmission and replaced the tc about 1500 miles before the engine rebuild and it never did anything like that until I put the engine back in. It sat about 6 months. If it isn't a real easy fix I'd rather just disable the tc lockup than deal with that for 1000 miles.
Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those searching for answers:
These problems were both directly related. Checked the cam position sensor readings (CMP Offset) with a scanner and found the distributor was about 15˚ advanced. Adjusted it to 0˚ and now theres no bogging, its a hell of a lot more responsive, idles smoother, is a bit more peppy, and the tc locks up smooth as butter. Used a BAFX obd2 reader and dashcommand for android with the GM specific PIDs add-on to read my CMP.
For more info refer to these threads:

Car Gauge Pro can read CMP

Yukon/Tahoe performance