Powerstop koe1970 doesnt fit?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Driving me nuts. Took off old pads and rotor and the new pads won't fit on the new rotor with old caliper. Got a new caliper thinking other one was bad but still needs about another 1/4-3/16" clearance. What am I doing wrong??? Cylinder needs to compress flush to clear rotor but wont.

1991 k1500. The old rotors are much thinner than the new ones. I also heard someone say there's a difference between 2wd and 4wd pads, this won't. Rock auto and autozone day the same brake kit for my truck.

Update: just noticed the description is for ext cab hd chassis truck. Assuming I got the wrong kit. Can I just get the right brake pads or will the rotor be different aswell??

Attachments

• 20211016_183946.jpg
    20211016_183946.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well imma go ahead and answer myself for future retards like me...

I ordered a HD brake package, which fits anything fb5 and above with f44. This includes a 1.25" rotor. I have the jb3 package, which appears to be the last year in 91 to have this and uses 1" rotors. So I now have to return both my rotors and pads and curse the autozone bit$h out....

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
OR, you can just replace the hubs on your truck with the hubs for the JB5 brake option and have MUCH better brakes.
I did this for my '90 K1500 and it made a world of difference in stopping.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now's the right time to upgrade. I thought I had JB3s, but I have JB5s. They're pretty good, but I don't want to imagine driving around on worse brakes.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OR, you can just replace the hubs on your truck with the hubs for the JB5 brake option and have MUCH better brakes.
I did this for my '90 K1500 and it made a world of difference in stopping.
Well the massive vehicle vibration is gone fir now, due to warped front rotors. Mayne in the future when I lift the truck or engine swap, but I'm glad for now just that my teeth don't chatter anymore during braking.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now's the right time to upgrade. I thought I had JB3s, but I have JB5s. They're pretty good, but I don't want to imagine driving around on worse brakes.
Yea the new brakes actually feel worse in stopping power than the old ones. I'm sure they need to cure but at least my teeth don't chatter anymore!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I made the same "mistake". Needed a steering knuckle to replace one with damage; selected one from a JB5 truck instead of JB/JN3. Decided to get the entire front suspension because the '3 brakes are crap.

That's when I figured-out that the master cylinder and brake booster are different, too--and the JB5 are bigger/stronger. You would not want to use the bigger caliper pistons of the JB5 brakes with the smaller master cylinder and booster.

HOWEVER, the single-best thing I ever did for the brakes on my "JB3" truck was to replace the rear axle. The axle I put in had 11.x" duo-servo drum brakes instead of the terrible leading/trailing shoe 10" drums.

Given the upgrades at front and rear, my truck is now the equivalent to JB6.