power steering pump vibrating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon95Z71

Reaction score
So last weekend i replaced my alternator and belt cause they were shot. I noticed that after i did that when i turn my ac on now my power steering pump vibrates erratically. It only does this at idle and when i turn the ac on otherwise it doesn't do it. If anyone has ever had this problem or might know what the cause of it is id appreciate the advice. Thanks

Brandon95Z71

Reaction score
Can you grab the PS pulley by hand and move it? If so I'd say it's shot...

I don't have time right now to take off the belt but i couldn't wiggle it back and forth while it was on and it only does it when i turn the a/c on. I also noticed that my a/c compressor gets really hot quick?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Does the pump/pulley move up/down/left/right, or do you mean the pulley has a wobble to it? It could be your ac compressor needs more oil added to it and the shaking it's causing could be the compressor trying to lock up....it's worth a shot to hook a new oil can to the compressor and see if it helps any.

Brandon95Z71

Reaction score
Does the pump/pulley move up/down/left/right, or do you mean the pulley has a wobble to it? It could be your ac compressor needs more oil added to it and the shaking it's causing could be the compressor trying to lock up....it's worth a shot to hook a new oil can to the compressor and see if it helps any.

The pulley itself doesn't move but ill have to take the belt off this weekend to know 100%. While idling the pulley looks like it kind of has a wobble to it but its always been that way since i got it and i had to bend a couple of spots on it back cause the original owner must have pried on it at some point in time so it bent the back in on a couple spots and chewed off a rib on the belt. It never did this until i replaced the alt and belt. You can feel how bad the power steering pump reservoir vibrates when the a/c is on.

Brandon95Z71

Reaction score
Ill have to check them this weekend but im still stumped as to why it only did this when i put a new alt and belt on and not the day before with the old stuff?