power steering delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chubby

Reaction score
Is it possible to do this to a 5.7l vortec? My truck is lifted and I don't think I really need it! plus its leaking and don't feel like fixing it......anyone?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just fix it and leave it on. If you are lifted I'm gonna assume oversize tires, which will be harder to steer without power steering, if you go off road you are gonna want it too.

Sent from somewhere in MN

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^Agreed. With larger tires the steering without any assist is going to be a bear! Wont be terrible once rolling at decent speed but anything slow and it will be two handed and lots of effort. Just turn the key into the run position, without starting and turn the wheel.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Possible?

yup.

But; baaad idea....running a box intended for power without it is even harder to actuate than a "manual only" box.

Lifted trucks are even harder to turn "manually" because the angles in the parallelogram style linkage are even more extreme that stock, offering you even less leverage at the box and thus, the wheel.

I don't think GMT400's even came with a manual box (don't quote me on that though). You might have to go back to the late 70's early 80's to find a manual truck box and even then you probably will have to do some custom fabbing to get it in there.

On the plus side, you are going to get pretty big arms after a month or two.....;)

I recommend you just fix it and be happy.

Last edited:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Fix the power steering, it is worth it!!!!

You might have to go back to the late 70's early 80's to find a manual truck box and even then you probably will have to do some custom fabbing to get it in there.

Agreed, GM Trucks prior to 1988 have the steering box on the outside of the frame as opposed to the inside of the frame in the after 1988, so that isn't an easy option.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I wonder how long the steering shaft assembly would hold up. Thinking of the rag joints, specifically.

I doubt very long.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Do whatever u want man... only one way to find out if its a pain in the *** or not. Make a hose jumper on the steering box ports... and some sort of idler setup in place of the ps pump... or u may be able to bypass the ps pump all together and no pulley needed... I can't really say without looking at my truck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: