Power Folding Mirrors, Can it be done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
I have a real need for mirrors that can be folded in electrically by switch. I currently have the manual dumbo mirrors. My problem is I share the garage with my Pops, and he is always bumping them out of place or breaking the mirrors getting in and out of the garage. He's in his seventies so I can't really blame him, but I need a solution. I can't keep replacing mirrors. I know there are vehicles out there with power folding mirrors, but has anyone ever modified them to fit GMT400 trucks? I don't need tow mirrors or anything like that, just some that I can hit a button when I get out and not have to worry about them getting smashed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
full

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Man, I'd think that most power fold mirrors are probably controlled by the BCM or some other additional module. I would suggest some that are "manually" operated, like the ones you can get on GMT800's - you hold the adjustment button inwards a few seconds then both mirrors fold in. Hold adjustment out and they fold back out. I haven't really dug into how they operate though, and I'm betting the BCM handles it, so that probably turns this into a much bigger job than most people would care to mess with.

The other thing too is the cost; the mirrors alone are megabucks. You'd have to find them in the boneyard and hope they think they're just regular mirrors. Copies, new, are $400+ a pair.

Richard

Last edited:

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
Yea, I was thinking they would be steep. There's a place near me that has a set price for their parts. I was hoping to get what I needed and hope they didn't look too close at what I had and charge the standard fee of $17.95ea. The reason I need them is I plan on getting the truck painted next year and don't want a nice paint job and crappy mirrors. I may just have to get manual fold units. I'm not a big fan of what's available in the aftermarket stuff available for the GMT400's. As far as the BCM, that shouldn't be a problem. I just did a quick youtube search and someone has already made a circuit for adding folding mirrors. I even found that there are aftermarket modules you can buy if you don't want to build your own circuit for some autos. So I guess what I need to know is, what vehicles have mirrors that will fit well and look good without too much fab work. I already figured the 94~01 Dodge mirrors will fit since a lot put on the tow mirrors. Does anybody know of any others that will at least fit and look good?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't compared the mounting plates closely as I don't have a GMT400 here to look at, but maybe the GMT800 mirrors? If you find a truck in the boneyard with the SPID label still attached, the power fold/memory/heated/signal/etc. mirrors are RPO DL3.

Richard