Post your other projects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
[]
You must be registered for see images attach

Love the 'Bullet Birds'! I've done many, many interiors & conv. tops on for '58-'65's.
'61, '62, or '63?

Got a link to some pictures of the interior work on your 98?

My 98 has a rather ratty interior and I've been thinking of redoing it for a while now.

I'm no expert upholsterer, but I've been know to spin a mean JUKE now and then.....

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've posted the pix of my seats before, but since there are so many newbies, here they are again.
They came out of a '98 Escalade that had been sunk in a 6' deep ditch, & filled with really scummy water. Then it sat in a yard for a year with the windows up.
The motors for all the electrics were still filled with water. Had to take 'em all apart, & crocus cloth all the rotors & stators. They all work, now, with the exception of the heaters.
The first pix are after the seats & console were cleaned of all the mold on 'em.
They were only in my shop for 2 days before I tore 'em down. Had to, they stunk up my shop so bad!

In this pic, the console's top door is covered in imitation ostrich vinyl. Looked orange compared to the rest. Changed that, covered the Escalade wood grain piece with graphite vinyl, & the tray with red.

There are 5 different vinyls in these seats. Red, red perforated, grey, grey perforated, & graphite for the piping.
The door panel arm rests are vinyl covered to match the seat arm rests

From 10' away, the interior looks grey, but the majority is red. It's kind of a shock for most when I open the door.
The headliner & O/H console is the same grey as the seats.
I'm a Scorpio, so that's why the logo on the headrests. Had that done by a T-shirt shop.
I have a set of red custom carpets for the truck in 'loop' pile. Factory is cut pile, but I think that the 'loop' looks more of an automotive style. Most would think that the 'loop' is wrong, so that's why I'm using it! The back wall will be the same carpet.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
This is going to be my little fun summer run around/autocross project. 1996 Mustang, 3.8V6, 5 spd manual.
Future plans:
-Lower suspension
-replace control arms
-replace sway bars
-upgrade to Cobra brakes
-18" wheel with some 275/45-18 sticky tires
-8.8" rear end with 3.73 gears and a limited slip
-a little body work

Engine wise, I cant decide between a 5L, an LS motor or get a spare 3.8, build the bottom end, port/polish heads and intake and turbo charge it.....

She aint pretty but I have a thing for Mustangs....sorry for the mess in the garage :nono:

Looks like a pretty clean garage IMO...SHould be a fun ride

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
Thanks ,Im thinking of changing up my console and want some ideas . truck looks great btw

EDIT: did you dye the console itself ?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No. Took it apart to the individual pieces, then covered those with the same vinyl as the seats. The extra thickness of the vinyl created a few probs with the fitment of the pieces. Nothing a bit of trimming & heating didn't fix.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
For a seat like that, the materials are minimal. I usually have black leather in stock. The foam is leftover from other jobs. So I only charge for labor on a seat as small as this.
I'm into this one for 10 hours. $600.00
Some bike owners may think that is a bit much, but I tell them to go price out a seat from H.D. What they get is a generic seat that they will see 10X a day at any bike run.
Corbin makes a seat called a 'Gunfighter'. The only reason that they call that 'custom' is because it never came on the bike. I can spot 4 or 5 a day, during the summer. 20 at a bike show.
Nothing wrong with the 'Gunfighter', just a little common.
Other than the lacing I do, I never repeat the same design. Everyone of them is 'Custom'. That's what the customer is paying for.

When I re-do my '98's interior, I'm gonna do some lacing on it. Similar to a Ford King Ranch, but a little more subtle. Looking forward to that being done, but not actually having to do it. I've got 6 hours just in the lacing alone on that bike seat. Figure that I'll have about 40(+) hours into the lacing on the seats alone, not including the console or the door panels. Not something that the average customer is willing to pay for, and that's why I'm doing mine this way. Individuality is the cornerstone of customization. If you think the upholstery job I did on my truck last time was loud, outrageous, & a bit over the top, wait till I get it done this winter!
Oh! I have plans!

Yipe on the price! Almost scared to ask what a job on the seat for my interceptor would cost lol.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

blue_92_sierra

Aftermath
Reaction score
I've posted the pix of my seats before, but since there are so many newbies, here they are again.
They came out of a '98 Escalade that had been sunk in a 6' deep ditch, & filled with really scummy water. Then it sat in a yard for a year with the windows up.
The motors for all the electrics were still filled with water. Had to take 'em all apart, & crocus cloth all the rotors & stators. They all work, now, with the exception of the heaters.
The first pix are after the seats & console were cleaned of all the mold on 'em.
They were only in my shop for 2 days before I tore 'em down. Had to, they stunk up my shop so bad!

In this pic, the console's top door is covered in imitation ostrich vinyl. Looked orange compared to the rest. Changed that, covered the Escalade wood grain piece with graphite vinyl, & the tray with red.

There are 5 different vinyls in these seats. Red, red perforated, grey, grey perforated, & graphite for the piping.
The door panel arm rests are vinyl covered to match the seat arm rests

From 10' away, the interior looks grey, but the majority is red. It's kind of a shock for most when I open the door.
The headliner & O/H console is the same grey as the seats.
I'm a Scorpio, so that's why the logo on the headrests. Had that done by a T-shirt shop.
I have a set of red custom carpets for the truck in 'loop' pile. Factory is cut pile, but I think that the 'loop' looks more of an automotive style. Most would think that the 'loop' is wrong, so that's why I'm using it! The back wall will be the same carpet.

Man you do some crazy nice upholstery work!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks!
I'm fussy. I've had some great mentors along the way and picked up some tricks from some craftsmen of different trades that had never done upholstery. Tailors, saddlemakers, even drywallers.
A couple of things that I always remember,
"Ferrari, Corporate Jet, or Vdub Beatle. They all get the same quality. You'll do a lot of Vdubs before someone lets you work on their Ferrari. By that time, it'll be cake. No stress, no nerves. It's another job. Do it once, do it right."
&
"If you wouldn't be happy with the job on your own vehicle, why should your customer be?"

And, I like what I do. Been over 30 (damn) years, so I had better. I like 'creating'.
Only classes that I ever really applied myself to, ('cause I liked 'em) was Auto shop, & Graphic Arts. How the f**k did I end up doing this? Hmmm...