Possible buy: 1996 K2500 6.5L turbo diesel.

Should I buy the truck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JesseLee142

Reaction score
So I guess the easiest way to start this out is to say there's a guy that lives a few houses down from me. He has a 1996 2500 6.5L turbo diesel for $2500 bucks. it has a dent but I'm not worried about that. What I'm worried about is that the body has 345,000 miles. I've been hearing a lot about high miles for a gas vehicle isn't the same with a diesel. Here's another thing, this guy has put a different engine in it. Mileage unknown but pretty sure under 300K. I just don't know if it's worth it and what problems could happen with such high mileage.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Post a video walk around, pics, engine and exhaust video. Some diesel owners may be able to chime in with more info. A cereal number from the block would probably be the biggest help. Also see if the pmd has been relocated. Any maintenance history receipts or just word of mouth? Usually the details aren't as important if it runs well and is in good shape, but these engines and engine management are umm... more "fragile" so to say.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I guess the easiest way to start this out is to say there's a guy that lives a few houses down from me. He has a 1996 2500 6.5L turbo diesel for $2500 bucks. it has a dent but I'm not worried about that. What I'm worried about is that the body has 345,000 miles. I've been hearing a lot about high miles for a gas vehicle isn't the same with a diesel. Here's another thing, this guy has put a different engine in it. Mileage unknown but pretty sure under 300K. I just don't know if it's worth it and what problems could happen with such high mileage.
From a 6.5 owner. Run away now! Even with a replacement engine of unknown miles it is easier to walk away now then when that engine takes a dump in the middle of nowhere. That sucker is a ticking time bomb. Your from the rust belt so the damn thing is swiss cheese. I wouldn't give $500 for it as a parts truck.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy carp man! I just ran it through KBB for grins. I ran it as a typical silverado in fair condition, private party, that sucker books over 4K!!!

Edit. That sucker books for the exact same price here? WTF!

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
From a 6.5 owner. Run away now! Even with a replacement engine of unknown miles it is easier to walk away now then when that engine takes a dump in the middle of nowhere. That sucker is a ticking time bomb. Your from the rust belt so the damn thing is swiss cheese. I wouldn't give $500 for it as a parts truck.

Listeneth to thy squire, he doth speaketh wisely.....:rofl:

Also, read here: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...-on-6-5-diesel&p=659448&viewfull=1#post659448

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Plenty said about 6.5's if you just read enough. My favorite though is from a 6.5 lovers' forum where they were organizing a regional meet-up, and it only took until the 2nd page of the thread before they started joking about who had tow trucks on speed dial. :D

I don't even know if I'd pay $500 as a parts truck for that one. And I've bought more parts trucks than I can count!

Even once you get past the "engine has been replaced/unknown miles on it" landmine, then the rest of the truck still has 345K which means everything else on it is gonna need attention too.

Richard