6.5l diesel leak dripping from bottom of starter. How to locate the problematic line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 1996 K3500 6.5L diesel I noticed severe dripping from under the starter. It smells and feels like diesel fuel. The fuel lines have never been changed. I know there are return lines going back to the fuel tank.

Is there a map or diagram showing all the fuel lines in this truck? I've posted a video on YouTube showing the dripping here or
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

What do I have to pull off to be able to find this leak? I can't see the line which is dripping by getting under the truck or from above anywhere. Am I going to have to pull the whole intake manifold to see these lines? I would think it's probably a good idea to replace all the lines since I'm in there.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the filter housing? Over time the fuel heater can warp the base of it and create a hellacious leak, that's usually the suspect component when it comes to fuel leaks on the backside of the motor.
Cool, that was what I was thinking to check first. Already have a replacement fuel filter manager. Thanks for the tip!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The passenger side is pretty a mirror of the drivers side. The last injector has a a cap on one of the nipples on the injector and then a small hose that goes from injector to injector to the front of the engine. Then from #1 and #2 it goes up to a pipe that joins from return from the pump then back to the tank. On the supply side its a line from the tank to the lift pump on the frame. Then up to the filter housing then to the injection pump. I would also check the lines from the filter housing up to the injection pump and the drain valve hoses. 25 year old rubber im sure is pretty dry and cracked living in a oven.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its usually simple and it was this time. Tried changing the filter and o ring on the filter housing first, and the drip seems to have subsided. I noticed fuel all over one of the bolts holding the housing down, and a piece missing from the o ring so it was pretty obvious that would be the first place to check. I'll hold onto the new housing for now but all is good now.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20230321_181535.jpg
    20230321_181535.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230321_181541.jpg
    20230321_181541.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 4