Positraction vrs Locking Diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Not going to be able to provide technical advice, just experience. With that out of they way, I had a factory Gov-lock in my 2011 Colorado. It worked, but it never made me comfortable. I could always feel it lock as the whole truck would twinge just a bit when it did. Never broke it and it was handy.

I had a limited slip diff installed in my Town Car. Had one installed in the Firebird, well, swapped in. I prefer the limited slip for those cars as they're always "on" when in good shape. The locker was unpredictable. If I was already going too fast, it wouldn't lock. And sometimes when it did, the ass of the truck would swing out. With the limited slip diffs I have, the cars' behavior was always predictable and controllable with steering wheel or right foot input.

No experience with Tru-trac. I almost had one installed in the Lincoln but decided against it in favor of the limited slip. I don't regret my decision. I've got at least 20k miles on that car with no issues on the install. Was probably done some five years ago too.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an uninstalled Truetrac for my plow truck. Had hoped to get it installed before winter; but failed. (Who orders a truck intending to put a plow on it...and doesn't demand a locking differential???)

"Everything" wears out. I'm told the gears themselves wear in the Truetrac. Hopefully, it takes a very long time before that happens.
Your are rite, in time, everything does ware out, but it takes a long time to ware the helix gears, compaired to the clutches in most SLDs. I couldn't tell you anything about snow. We may get snow maybe once every 10 years. I think that from what I hear, there are better choices for off-road, and snow, but IDK what they are. Since I don't do ether, I never researched it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have an uninstalled Truetrac for my plow truck. Had hoped to get it installed before winter; but failed. (Who orders a truck intending to put a plow on it...and doesn't demand a locking differential???)

"Everything" wears out. I'm told the gears themselves wear in the Truetrac. Hopefully, it takes a very long time before that happens.

That is how the T2R died in my Camaro, but God only knows the mileage and abuse it withstood before I got it. I don't understand why they don't support the worm gears on the ends.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read lots of that with the Truetrac. Big power/heavy vehicle guys seem to chew up the worm gears faster than others. However, people still like them and seem like an excellent and affordable torque solution.

I still think most of the name brand limited slip units are great for general daily driver use. Especially if we're talking a stock-ish application. Limited slip units from Auburn, Eaton, and Yukon have all been highly praised from what I hear. I've only used Eaton clutch-type products in my 10 bolt stuff.

I've installed 3 of the modern Posi units, heavily abused one, other two saw light beatings once in awhile off-road, but haven't worn out any clutches or broke them yet.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For a 2wd in FL, I wouldn't consider a locker, just get a Truetrac. 3.42 is a good gear for a C1500 with TBI. I had that in my C1500, later went 3.73 when those gears got eaten by an exploding sun gear. The 3.73 was a bit much on the highway for a motor with no legs, but back then all I had close to home were 55 roads so it worked well for me. Doing 70+ it just didn't seem as happy as it did with the 3.42. Do you have a cam or anything to make it want to rev more than 4000?
What engine were you running. I was thinking of putting this in amy c 1500 work truck 4.3 I just get sick of it sometime seems like it could use a bit of umph

Fast_Z71

Reaction score
I'd go for a TrueTrac and maybe 3.73 gears. I’ve had mine installed for roughly 12k mile, and I couldn't be happier it is way better than the G80 just waiting to blow apart on you. The rear end locks up solid when you need it and you'll never know it's there when you're negotiating tight turns.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 350 didn't like it at 70 why ?

It didn't not like it, it just seemed at 75+ like the motor was happier with the 3.42 than it was the 3.73. Again, a stock TBI motor. The Vortec responds differently.