Ported enclousre?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
I am trying to get draw up plans for a pair of boxes for my 93 that will each hold one Sundown Audio SA-8 sub. I have done a bunch of reading and calculations because I only want to build this thing once and want it to sound right whats throwing me off is the port. I have never built a ported box so this is new to me.

Here is the sub I will be using.

http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/item/sa-series.html?category_id=3

Heres what I have figured for box and port dimensions.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Anybody have any input as to if this should be a decent box for each of those subs? I am looking for a lot of bass without killing my seat space and a blow thru is not an option.

Chevyboy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
with that space you cant really get an optimal enclosure size or tuning that would work well with that sub. plus the SA8v1's are no longer in production since the v2s are coming out late march. Secondly I would just look for some other 8 that would work well sealed, if you are going to port an 8, you need more room or the tuning will be high and not very musical unless all you listen to is trance/house kinda stuff.

I would do .8 cubes each with tuning around 35hz, but to maintain suitable port area along with even volume over .6 is EXTREMELY difficult with those max measurements. If you have bucket seats, i would build a custom console and do 1 that way. and a 2 in aero port isnt enough, unless you are running about 200rms to it. for higher power you need more port area or you will choke it.

and for port area, i would do 1 3in aero per sub, maybe a 4in if you have the room which you wont.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
Yea after doing more reading and talking to one of the sundown guys (ibanender on gmfs) I have scrapped those plans. I am thinking more along the lines of a longer box with both subs down firing with a 3" side port. I have to take some more measurements on how much room I have behind my seats and how much leg room I am willing to give up. I am gonna take some measurements for a possible console type enclosure as well but I am trying to avoid that for now.

Glad to see someone finally chime in on this too lol.

jrp12357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would like to see end result. I still have my sa-8 sitting in the box it came to me shipped lol. Cant find anyone to help build me a box for my truck.

Chevyboy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont usually suggest mainstream stuff since i branched off from those. but some kicker cvt 12s, or type r thins might be right up your alley, a sealed 12 can get you around a properly ported 8, along with a generally flat response.

the kickers work in 1 cube sealed, and are 100 bucks ea, which is 35 less than an sa8.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21922_Kicker-CVT124-10CVT124.html

with the box measurements in the first post, the 10s would work out better.

so http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21924_Kicker-CVT104-10CVT104.html

they need .8 which is pretty much exactly the box in the first post.