Popping in front end after spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mykvr6

Reaction score
So I installed a set of Energy Suspension spring spacers in my 2wd truck. Just wanted to level it out and maybe add some bigger tires without going all crazy and expensive. Anyway I installed new ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and adjusting sleeves. When I first got the truck I installed a new pitman arm and idler and idler bracket. I recently installed a new rag joint as well. So after installing everything I do get a little pop or a kind of thud but only when going over these narrow/tall speed bumps in my neighbor hood if I go a little fast. if I slow crawl over it it doesn't do it. Over the bigger, wider bumps it doesnt do it.

Today I decided to flip my ball joints and I did some digging around and jacking the suspension up and down and it looks like the knock I'm getting is from the upper ball joints maxing out their travel when the suspension unloads coming over the back of the speed bumps. They are at a bit of an extreme angle with the spacers in there. I ended up flipping them to see if it would help with my camber as well and it did. So now it wont make any noise unless I really go over the speed bump fast. That little bit of extra travel from being flipped seems to have done the trick.

Now heres my question though, I've looked and searched all over here and everywhere for a similar problem to see what people may have done and I can't find anything. Are there any offset or better ball joints I should try? I installed Moog problem solvers but I've been seeing some not so great things about their current reputation. I don't know that any ball joint would really help because of the change in suspension geometry. The flip seems to have helped a lot I'm just a little sketched out by the flip itself. Its obvioulsy not as safe as the stock configuration, but plenty of people run flipped ball joints without a problem.

Any suggestions? I just wanted to level the truck a bit and maybe throw some 31's on it for ground clearance. It likes to flood around here so I just want a little ground clearance when its raining or if I have to hop a curb at the mall lol. Im real close to getting the 4" lift spindles so I can go back to the stock geometry.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know when I put 2 inch spacers on the front of my 2wd, they really maxed out the droop in the shocks sitting on the ground. Going over really any bump at any speeds, the front end would hop and the front wheels would come off the ground. That was with new shocks. I was told I could get an extension bolt that goes on the top of the front shock, to basically re add in that length I needed, but I ended up taking the spacers out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mykvr6

Reaction score
Yeah I think I have a tad bit of travel in the shock but its defintely bottoming out the upper ball joint travel and that's where I'm getting my knocking. Flipping the ball joints has helped though as it doesn't knock now unless i really go over one of those bumps really quick. and thats whats happening, the front wheels are basically catching a bit of air coming off the back side of the speed bump and the suspension is reaching full droop and the ball joint is knocking. Its pretty good now with the flip and my camber looks better too.