PLEASE HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My 20" Boss 338's are 30 lbs. a corner heavier than the stock 15" with 235-75's. And that's unsprung, rotational weight.
I've posted this before, but, when I was into MTB's, the rule was that for every pound taken off the wheels, was equal to 3 lbs. off of the frame. So that extra 30 lbs. that the 338's weigh is the equivalent of 90 lbs. of sprung weight, per corner. Or a total of 360 lbs. of extra weight. My MTB wheels had been modded to reduce weight by grams!
Not only do you have to get that extra weight rollin', but I can really tell that that weight's there when turning or stopping. Find myself having to gear down more on longer climbs.
They are hard on the gas mileage around town. Flat highway driving, not so bad. Throw in some hills & the gas gauge starts to go down much faster.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 20" Boss 338's are 30 lbs. a corner heavier than the stock 15" with 235-75's. And that's unsprung, rotational weight.
I've posted this before, but, when I was into MTB's, the rule was that for every pound taken off the wheels, was equal to 3 lbs. off of the frame. So that extra 30 lbs. that the 338's weigh is the equivalent of 90 lbs. of sprung weight, per corner. Or a total of 360 lbs. of extra weight. My MTB wheels had been modded to reduce weight by grams!
Not only do you have to get that extra weight rollin', but I can really tell that that weight's there when turning or stopping. Find myself having to gear down more on longer climbs.
They are hard on the gas mileage around town. Flat highway driving, not so bad. Throw in some hills & the gas gauge starts to go down much faster.

Im glad you posted this, I wanted to know what the weight of these rims are just for the reason above..... I have 80lbs per corner right now , rim is 32-3 lbs and tire 48.... I can feel the HUGE difference in handling with my rim/tire combo and hate it.. Lifted, big tire and heavy wheels is just overated for a 2x lol

going to the 338's would be better then what I have now, and I would be closer to stock gearing then ( with the right tire size ).......Plus.......plus.........plus.................................

(EDIT)

Just grabbed some numbers and it looks like..

Stock wheel 20 lbs
235/75/15 31.5 lbs total weight 51.5 Lbs per corner

Boss 338 30 lbs
(rear) 295/45/20 39 lbs total weight 69 lbs per corner that's 17.5 lbs heavier then stock

My current set up.
Wheel 32 lbs
tire 48 lbs total weight of 80 lbs so that's 28.5 lbs heavier then stock.....................

Last edited:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. I have some 18" 338's. I lost a center cap off the front wheel. The tire shop owner took a look and his best guess was that the heat from the brakes distorted the o-ring that holds on the center cap.

Dang.

$20 later, I got another center cap. Lost the same one within a week. Went back to the shop, and he replaced it for free. I haven't put it back on because I can't keep going through them like this. Do you guys have the same style cap? Have you had any issues or know of any way to fix this?

I'm thinking about pulling the wheel off and seeing if a snap ring will grab it from the backside. More durable than a rubber o-ring, and yet still removable.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Apparently, there are 2 different caps for 338's. Are you getting the right one?
I'd try giving the lip on the backside of the cap a tap with a flat screwdriver at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, & 9:00 once the cap is on the wheel. Maybe a couple of dabs of silicone too.
I have one that's a bit loose too. It rattles but I haven't lost it yet. Yet!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to get some people to understand even the most basic concepts behind excessive unsprung weight is a lot like beating your head against a brick wall, even on forums catering to people with high performance stuff like SRT8 owners. Makes me nuts to see someone with some expensive mods and pushing 500HP or better with a set of cast tombstone 22" "replica" wheels on their ride, but hey; it's their money and they have to drive it. Fortunately the guys that are spending real money with heavily modded cars are already smart enough to go forged. :D (there are several 1K HP cars on that forum, dyno and track proven, some of them STREET DRIVEN).

I moved up to forged when I started building my black '94 C2500LD; back in early '08 I bought those Centerline Smoothie 20's and haven't really looked back, other than the CL deal I got on those Boss 338's for the maroon C1500. Even the stock 20's on my SRT8 are lightweight forged. :D Wish the backspacing was better; I'd run a set with adapters on the truck, but just not gonna work.

I have a question for you guys. I have some 18" 338's. I lost a center cap off the front wheel. The tire shop owner took a look and his best guess was that the heat from the brakes distorted the o-ring that holds on the center cap.

Dang.

$20 later, I got another center cap. Lost the same one within a week. Went back to the shop, and he replaced it for free. I haven't put it back on because I can't keep going through them like this. Do you guys have the same style cap? Have you had any issues or know of any way to fix this?

I'm thinking about pulling the wheel off and seeing if a snap ring will grab it from the backside. More durable than a rubber o-ring, and yet still removable.
I'm guessing you have the redesigned ones with the "dome" style center cap? Looks like it from the pic. The older, flatter cap (the ones that won't really fit the front hubs without a spacer) is just held on by tabs that are the same piece of plastic as the cap itself. There's not even a stiffening metal ring like the Boss 308's I put on my old Suburban. Have had no problem with them coming off, and they ride right on top of the hub & bearing cap, despite the 1/4" spacer I used to make them fit.

Here's a thought; if the O-ring is what is failing, consider that the ring is probably some super cheapo rubber that was just whatever they had that was the right size. Take one down to the Carquest or NAPA and ask to see their O-ring assortment. You might find some that are for a particular application like a water neck seal, that fit, and might hold up better. This is what I did when the O-rings that hold my Centerline caps on eventually failed from being removed/reinstalled too many times.

I don't think you can mix up the wrong caps on the Boss 338's; they redesigned the center bore completely, I don't even think they are the same size at all.

Richard

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that would be equal to 210lbs of unsprung weight. Not as much as I figured, but still enough to make a noticeable difference.

There is a set of old school center lines 15x8-10 for sale locally that would be lighter............But I hate 15's on lowered trucks...........

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Plus it's a real PITA to run most 15's (and even many 16's) on a truck that is lowered much. Spindles and springs? Fugeddaboutit; you gotta trim the bottom of the lower control arm off so it doesn't grind on the inside of the wheel hoop.

Richard

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus it's a real PITA to run most 15's (and even many 16's) on a truck that is lowered much. Spindles and springs? Fugeddaboutit; you gotta trim the bottom of the lower control arm off so it doesn't grind on the inside of the wheel hoop.

Richard

Yes...........I already replaced my lower control arms due to the fact they were trimmed from the 4/6 drop and on 15's

Never again!!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can always trim & plate, but it takes a very clean cut or a lot of dressing on a rough cut, to give you a flat enough surface to get a good bead on a plate. BellTech or maybe DJM used to sell little pre-made A-shaped plates you could use but I've never seen anyone bother with those or even home-made. I look at it this way; my white '92 made it probably near a hundred thousand miles on badly trimmed A-arms before I replaced them during my front end rebuild, so it's probably no big deal, but like you I'm not fond of the chop.

On that truck I even had to grind the passenger side caliper body a tiny little bit because it was catching on those 15" Centerlines. It was OK with the factory 15" alloys, but the inside profile of the hoop was different on the Centerlines. That truck suffered a really, really hard hit on the passenger side before I bought it (even the firewall was smashed, breaking the HVAC box and fresh air flap) so the suspension could have been a little out of whack there anyway...

Richard