Pitman Arm Help

Discussion in 'Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits' started by Maroon96, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Maroon96

Maroon96 I'm Awesome

I was going to put the steering components and sway bar back on my truck. I couldn't get the pitman arm fully seated. I saw a video where the guy said to tighten the nut to push it on then take it off and put it back on the final time with the lock washer. Well mine didn't go all the way on. It got to the point where the nut feels tight by hand but is easy to turn with a wrench. Problem is it won't tighten or loosen. Just spins around. I was hoping to get the center link on and limp it to the shop to let them fix it when they do the alignment, but I can't quite get that on either. Maybe because the pitman arm is not on all the way? I'm not sure what to do at this point other than try and cut the nut off, but I don't want to damage the gearbox or anything. Any ideas? Any tips to get the center link on?

[​IMG]

2. robert lowman

robert lowman Newbie

There is 3 or 4 larger splines that look almost like a square intsead of the sharp pointy splines on both the gear box and pitman that have to line up perfectly

3. Maroon96

Maroon96 I'm Awesome

I noticed those and thought I got it put on right but I'll double check.

4. east302

east302 I'm Awesome

That looks pretty close, the face of the arm doesn’t sit flush with the gearbox. There’s a rubber sleeve that slides up to cover the gap.

You’ll need a 3/4” Drive torque wrench on it, but I don’t recall the ft-lb setting offhand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Does not always play well with others

You can torque it to spec with a 1/2" torque wrench. 185 Lb. Ft. as per the GM service manual.

east302 likes this.