Painting steel center console...would I still get paint mixed for the interior color?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadDecisions

Reaction score
I put a custom steel center console in the '96 K2500, and want to paint it blue like the rest of the interior. It's a work truck, not a show truck, so it doesn't have to be an absolutely perfect "looks like factory" match, but I would like it at least close. Largely so it attracts less attention from passerbys.

I know SEM makes paints/dyes intended to match factory interior colors, but that they're also intended to be used on plastic and vinyl parts, where there is none in this console. Can I get other SEM paint, or some other brand entirely mixed up to closely approximate the interior color? Or even some other off the shelf deal?

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
I put a custom steel center console in the '96 K2500, and want to paint it blue like the rest of the interior. It's a work truck, not a show truck, so it doesn't have to be an absolutely perfect "looks like factory" match, but I would like it at least close. Largely so it attracts less attention from passerbys.

I know SEM makes paints/dyes intended to match factory interior colors, but that they're also intended to be used on plastic and vinyl parts, where there is none in this console. Can I get other SEM paint, or some other brand entirely mixed up to closely approximate the interior color? Or even some other off the shelf deal?
If you have an English Color, or some other paint shop nearby, you can take a trim piece in and see if they can color match and put it in a spray bomb can for you. That would be what I would try.