Painting inside fender cavity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've searched a bit for something on this topic but didn't come up with a lot. I just picked up a new set of fenders for the truck (plan on a repaint this summer). The fenders have a black e-coat on them currently, and was wondering what people do to paint the inside of new fenders and other body panels. I'm not really concerned with making them look perfect inside as the areas will never be seen, I'm just going for maximum rust prevention. Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I roughed mine up with a wire wheel attachment and coated it with Chassis Saver. So far its been holding up to the salt well.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Solvent clean, scuff with red scotchbrite pad, blow off dust, solvent clean, jamb inside with whatever you desire for paint Keep in mind that if you are topcoating the outside with automotive paint, and you get overspray on what you have already painted with a cheap paint, it may lift or wrinkle.

Best to stick with a similar paint system, your local autobody supply house can mix custom aerosols that would be compatible with your topcoat.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you both for the quick replies! Some good solid advice, hopefully I can get my giant hands in those tight spaces to scuff the internal surfaces lol.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Take your time, otherwise it will appear that you had a fight with an alley cat or two. Sheetmetal is sharp...

Scuff what you can, and the rest will be OK as long as you can get rid of any dust and oils on the surface.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome, much appreciated! Is there anything I can spray with an extension nozzle that works well for priming the e-coat? I'll probably need to apply the paint in the same manner. There isn't much working room, considering this is the same space the air flows through before it reaches the air filter.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always used that rubberized undercoating. Seems to hold up a little better with stones.

DylanD

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've searched a bit for something on this topic but didn't come up with a lot. I just picked up a new set of fenders for the truck (plan on a repaint this summer). The fenders have a black e-coat on them currently, and was wondering what people do to paint the inside of new fenders and other body panels. I'm not really concerned with making them look perfect inside as the areas will never be seen, I'm just going for maximum rust prevention. Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!

ive been wanting to bed line mine front fenders and frame as well i think this would solve rust problem as well as protect better than just paint.

post some pics when you decide

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'll be a few weeks before I get around to painting the whole truck. I'm thinking of doing a color matched tint able Raptor Liner reduced and sprayed through an HELP gun. Just a bit of texture, but still with a satin finish. I'll be doing the while exterior. Thanks for the feedback guys! Everyone here is awesome, many thanks. When it gets warmer and I go through with it I'll be sure to make a new thread. :)