Pacesetter header and y pipe off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VortecBurb

Reaction score
Just realized I think its the downpipe not the y pipe. anyways Thanks for all the advice I want to keep this 99 Suburban on the road as long as I can. I've run into a few slowdowns but nothing the great people on this forum couldn't answer. Just a little feedback on the Pacesetter Black Shorty headers (70-1332) since I have the air injection and they seem to be the only ones with the setup for it I got em but I don't understand why they couldn't just ship em in oil like most parts. As much of a pain as it is to get the headers on and all the other stuff I really don't want to have to take them off again to paint em. Guess I could've searched around for a sandblaster but I just want to get it back on the road so I'll just have to deal with the rust later. The stock manifolds had one or two broken bolts and I would've had to find someone to fix those too so here I am again. I got the passenger side on really tight on that side haven't put the starter in yet so hopefully no interference there. But on the drivers side the header is off to inside by at least an inch so my question is could tweak either one or both to close the gap. The problem I think I will run into is being only about an inch from the driveshaft. I thought I could cut the down pipe and weld in a new section. any suggestions?

Last edited:

VortecBurb

Reaction score
took some more time on it yesterday and it looks like if I pulled the exhaust in to meet the header the exhaust would be less than 1/2" from the driveshaft and I think that is really close. I'm going to try and get pacesetter to exchange it. geez this project started back in May. I got a Dorman manifold at first and one of the collector bolts just pulled right through the casting. cheap pot metal so I decided to get headers cause the GM manifolds were alot more. oh well live and learn.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yet another manufacturing inconsistency from Pacesetter...

I have a set of their shorty headers on my red V6 truck. They fit, but only after I cut a piece of one of the flanges off to clear the CTS. I called Pacesetter to report the issue and they said that it wasn't an error, they were all machined that way. So I guess that means all their Vortec V6 shorties are machined incorrectly. I'll be steering clear of them in the future.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet another manufacturing inconsistency from Pacesetter...
I had good luck with my Summit Racing shorty headers (G-9015 made by PaceSetter) but, this is on my 88 5.7 C1500 - plenty of room. I did have to cut down and bevel my 5/8" deep well socket to get at the plugs because of my angled plug aluminum heads.

VortecBurb

Reaction score
I can barely get to the middle plugs it is a total pain. On the passenger side the last pipe rubs the firewall
I was gonna try and get a crowbar in there to put a dent in it. not the best fit but I have the air injection so selection was limited surprisingly no leaks on the initial few runs I have yet to drive it just got all the air out last night and working on the CMP retard now

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can barely get to the middle plugs it is a total pain.
I have angled plugs and it is a PITA, I wound up cutting down and beveling one of my plug sockets to get it on then used a 3/4 combination wrench to turn it. Summit Racing sells a short plug socket too.

VortecBurb

Reaction score
so many things these days have poor engineering I can't afford a new suburban and with all the electronics on em now I wouldn't want it. no telling how poorly engineered they are either I'm probably gonna have to pull the headers to paint em and put the dent in for the firewall but darn they were a pain to install

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder who made the emissions-legal headers sold by Edelbrock years ago. They practically fell into place on my '88 K1500 5.7L, I've had 'em for near twenty years, and aside from some discoloration the stainless looks just fine. The mild-steel flanges for the Y-pipe rusted out on the passenger side, but I got some split "repair flanges" and put it back together.

I installed ancient Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads on the fresh engine last January. My spark plug acceess is better than stock even with the "angled-plugs" on the TW heads.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder who made the emissions-legal headers sold by Edelbrock years ago. They practically fell into place on my '88 K1500 5.7L, I've had 'em for near twenty years, and aside from some discoloration the stainless looks just fine. The mild-steel flanges for the Y-pipe rusted out on the passenger side, but I got some split "repair flanges" and put it back together.

I installed ancient Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads on the fresh engine last January. My spark plug acceess is better than stock even with the "angled-plugs" on the TW heads.