Overheating after changing temperature sender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A couple of questions.
Doesn't sealant (or thread tape) screw up the earthing and thus the gauge reading?
What are all the temp sensors for? The one featured here is for the gauge it seems. What are the other two (on block, doubles up as drain plug, and the one beside the thermostat) for? Sensors or switches and where do their outputs go?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
A couple of questions.
Doesn't sealant (or thread tape) screw up the earthing and thus the gauge reading?
What are all the temp sensors for? The one featured here is for the gauge it seems. What are the other two (on block, doubles up as drain plug, and the one beside the thermostat) for? Sensors or switches and where do their outputs go?

No the sealant does not interfere with the grounding(earthing in Scotland). The threads are tapered and become tighter as the temp SENDER gets screwed in. This is the unit on the side of the cylinder head between #1 and #3 spark plugs. There are 2 different sending units available, one for a warning light and one for a gauge. (actually 3 different units, there is also one for the later model years that has a different connector)

The unit on the passenger side of block in the drain hole is the Knock sensor. The ECU uses this to sense detonation and retard timing.

The unit next to the thermostat housing is the temp SENSOR that the ECU ( computer) relies on for fuel control.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys, good and bad news. The good news is that I'm not overheating. I went and picked up my new sender BWD WT723 and installed it.

I added coolant and installed that Lisle funnel and was getting a lot of bubbles, so I new air was coming out of the system.

I ran it for 25 minutes and the needle in the guage pretty much hovered at the 1/4 mark. I ran it at 2000 RPM for a few minutes and could see the needle going back and forth from the 4 and 5 tick marks, presumably from thermostat opening and closing?

At this point I'm thinking my original sender was okay and my instrument cluster guage is not calibrated correctly...

You must be registered for see images attach

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys, good and bad news. The good news is that I'm not overheating. I went and picked up my new sender BWD WT723 and installed it.

I added coolant and installed that Lisle funnel and was getting a lot of bubbles, so I new air was coming out of the system.

I ran it for 25 minutes and the needle in the guage pretty much hovered at the 1/4 mark. I ran it at 2000 RPM for a few minutes and could see the needle going back and forth from the 4 and 5 tick marks, presumably from thermostat opening and closing?

At this point I'm thinking my original sender was okay and my instrument cluster guage is not calibrated correctly...

Eh......didnt need that gauge anyways lol

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been chasing this P0174 lean code for a while now. I didn't think this low temperature reading was the cause, but always bugged me that it read low, especially since my 4.3 reads just under 1/2 mark.

Anyways, last time I had my cheap scanner hooked the computer was reporting 189F.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Those gauges are notoriously imprecise. My '97 sits right at the 1/4 mark at 180, 195 is about 1/2 & 200 is 3/4.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your gauge is reading right where my 96 sits most of the time. My 97 reads a tick higher. Both are at 195 degrees according to my scanner, The gauges are an "approximation", just to let you know when the motor is cold or getting hottish...... I even had my 96 cluster "refurbished" and the guy said everything was "within spec" when he checked it.

There are two temp senders. The one you replaced for the gauge, the other located in the front of the intake manifold next to the thermostat housing is for the computer--allegedly that's the one a scanner is reading.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Your gauge is reading right where my 96 sits most of the time. My 97 reads a tick higher. Both are at 195 degrees according to my scanner, The gauges are an "approximation", just to let you know when the motor is cold or getting hottish...... I even had my 96 cluster "refurbished" and the guy said everything was "within spec" when he checked it.

There are two temp senders. The one you replaced for the gauge, the other located in the front of the intake manifold next to the thermostat housing is for the computer--allegedly that's the one a scanner is reading.

There is nothing alleged about it, the unit on the intake is the one that the ECU uses and the one that the scanner reads