out of ideas, wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking around threads for possible answers I need some help with my 350 tbi:

Just replaced old fuel pump (thought it was bad, can hear it turn on with key), fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay (was bad). The battery seems to be about dead so i'm charging it tomorrow. But even with a charger on it and starting spray it wont turn over. I'll have gas pedal down on some starts and sometimes not.

Any ideas at all? Everything is new or newer ignition wise besides coil.

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pump come on with the key in the on pos (not starting) if so then look at oil pressure sender

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes pump comes on and I'll have to check that tomorrow. never really looked at OPS , where's it located

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
It is behind the distributor in a brass elbow. Be very careful to not break that elbow if you remove the sensor.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
And the ECM does disable spark if the OPS reads 0, but I believe it is only active after starting.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
My coil had spark and it still wouldn't start. But I replaced it and that was it. But the new one sparked a lot more so just remember you should get a god bit of spark from the coil if it's good.

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking back on it, the oil pressure gauge never came on so I'm leaning towards that as the cause, I'll keep you guys updated after work. And thanks for the advice, that's why I love this site

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Basics before doing ANYTHING else.

Do you have spark at the plugs while cranking? Use a spark checker, inexpensive ($10)
Do you have fuel spraying from the injectors while cranking?

TBI's aren't overly sensitive about fuel pressure for starting as long as there's SOME pressure; if it's low then problems will show up when running. Knowing your fuel pressure is good though, but for purposes of troubleshooting starting problems, watching the injectors spray while someone cranks it is good enough.

Richard

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've begun to undo the OPS and i started watching it and it seems only the brass part moves and not the part that screws in. I was down there cranking for a good 10-15 minutes and it felt like i got nowhere.

Also the part that connects the steering column and i believe down to frame, is a real pain in the A$s