Opinions needed: Mod the 350tbi? or upgrade to 454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badpig

Reaction score
I swapped a 454 into my 92 1/2 ton 4x4. I lived in Arizona so it needed to pass emissions. The truck is a reliable daily driver and as awesome power but for all the little things you need to deal with I would look for a truck with a 454 from the factory. You can probably buy a used one for the same money you throw at your 350. Use the big block to tow and the one you like as a daily.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Cool_as_crap, sorry to hijack the thread and get off topic but how smoothly does your NV4500 shift? I test drove 1998 with one of those in there behind a 454 and it shifted smooth as a hot knife through warm butter, especially when compared to my SM465. Then I read somewhere that the early years shift a bit clunkier. Not sure. But because it's easier to swap I'm looking for a 1992-1995 NV as they've got the external slave..

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool_as_crap, sorry to hijack the thread and get off topic but how smoothly does your NV4500 shift? I test drove 1998 with one of those in there behind a 454 and it shifted smooth as a hot knife through warm butter, especially when compared to my SM465. Then I read somewhere that the early years shift a bit clunkier. Not sure. But because it's easier to swap I'm looking for a 1992-1995 NV as they've got the external slave..

It used to be clunky, from '07 when I bought it up until a year ago when I changed the fluid to amsoil.
Since the amsoil it has never been so smooth, it is very buttery.

Odd though, amsoil recommended the same exact tranny fluid for my Evolution and made it shift so poorly I had to change to OEM immediately.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
That's good to know. Maybe I could put that stuff in my SM465? What fluid is it? All fluids in our truck have been changed but no difference with how that trans shifts. Plus, 1800 rpm @ 45mph sucks.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Not sure either, but I've heard of people even trying motor oil with a SM465. Not worth the dirt they sit on around here. Willing to try anything at this point. Might open a thread to see what people have run in their clunky SM's.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
The 465 takes gear lube, and it is clunky, and I've never driven one that wasn't. As long as it's not jumping out of third, there isn't much to be done with it.