Only runs with 2 plug wires off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1996 C2500HD, 5.7

I had some fuel delivery issues a few months ago. The end result was a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and updated spider assembly. I've been driving the truck every day since then (two months), including two trips of 300 or so miles, and it's been running fine. My mileage is consistently around 13, plus or minus a little, which seems ok to me for a truck of this size. I've done nothing to it since the fuel issue was resolved.

Now the truck has learned a new trick.

The short version - With plug wires 1 and 3 pulled off, the truck starts and runs, though obviously only on 6 cylinders. If I put the wires on for either 1 or 3, it will just crank, won't start, and the plugs are all fuel fouled.

The long version - The truck was running fine. I had a CEL that was P1345 (Crankshaft Position-Camshaft Position Correlation) that was the result of installing a new distributor/cap/rotor/module, and the timing wasn't exact. I've been meaning to take it in to a shop and have them scan it and set it, but hadn't done it yet. Like I said, the truck was running fine, so if it was off it was only by a little.

Drove the truck this past Saturday, came home, shut it off, and an hour later it wouldn't re-start. Cranked and cranked but wouldn't fire. I could smell gas in the exhaust, so I pulled all the plugs and they were covered in fuel. No noticeable wear, gap was good, and they had a nice light brown color when I checked them a couple months ago. Hard to get a read on the color now since they were fuel soaked, and black from not firing. Cleaned them, put them back, still wouldn't fire. Pulled them again and they were fuel soaked again.

I checked for spark next. Pulled the #1 plug wire and plug, stuck the plug in the wire and had someone crank it. No spark. Pulled the #3 wire, left plug 3 in place, put the #1 plug in the #3 wire, cranked it, got a spark, and the engine started almost immediately.

Put the #3 wire back on, truck won't start. Put the #1 plug back in, and the #1 wire on, truck won't start. Swapped the #1 wire with #2 to check if the wire was bad. It's not. #2 still fires, #1 still doesn't. Checked resistance.... .355 in wire #1, .377 in wire #2 (wire 2 is a little longer.

So now the truck starts right up, and seems to run fine given that it's only firing on 6 cylinders. Plugs 1 and 3 are in, but the wires are off. Down on power, obviously, but otherwise seems ok. I went to Autozone to use their code reader, thinking I'd have a bunch. I only have one...P1345. I thought I'd have a bunch of misfire codes, maybe fuel pressure codes, whatever. I've got nothing.

I'm lost. As I mentioned with my initial fuel problem thread back in December, I'm not a Chevy guy. This is the first GM product I've every owned, so I'm not familiar with whatever common problems these vehicles may have, and as such I have no idea where to begin looking to solve this problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If the distributor wasn't set correctly, my hunch is it won't throw any misfire codes. Like the above poster I would hazard a guess the cap is junk, however I would also do a compression check in those two cylinders at the least to make sure the head gasket didn't go for a dump in between the 1 and 3 bores, or that you have other issues.

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess every so often we all have one of those "gee, that was dumb" moments. I suppose this is mine.

I had a conversation with somebody who suggested the cap. I thought "No, that can't be it. The cap is brand new...less than 1000 miles on it"

Put a good cap and rotor on it, with the brass contacts not aluminum, and it runs great. While I may be feeling a little dumb at the moment, I do appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The quality of the caps has gone downhill, and the Vortec cap design is probably a little more prone to crossfiring than a regular cap, since it's got little circuit pathways through it instead of the contact point for each terminal being right there at the terminal.

Been seeing more and more reports of people having trouble with these caps lately, even when they're new/newish.

Glad that's all it was. :)

Richard

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I had hell with distributor caps on my 98, I once installed a new one, 3 days later it quit running on the interstate while my wife was driving it, I searched and searched for the issue and finally out of desperation, I installed an old cap that has been in the bed of my truck in the rain and sun for about a week. It fired up then... so I went to O'reilly and dropped $50 on an Accel cap with brass contacts. Of course this came after a lot of troubleshooting and replacing the distributor ( which was sort of needed as one of the holes for the cap mounting screws were broken off)