Old style backing plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you adjust them from the back. your suppose to have a slight drag on your drums before you put everything back together. taking the self adjust off and going back to an older style youll be in the same predicament.

you can adjust them from the back ive never done the reverse thing because it seems stupid if you assemble them properly in the first place.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Considering there's no way with this crap GM brake setup to adjust them with the drum on I'd say I'm not adjusting them back in. Standing on the gas in reverse and mashing the brake seems to do nothing in these trucks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

You should not be standing on the gas and mashing the peddle. I don't believe the adjusters will bring out of adjustment brakes into adjustment, I think the idea is that they maintain adjustment...... you have to adjust them upon assembly.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was reffering to mashing the gas to get it going then letting off and mashing the brakes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I don't believe the adjusters will bring out of adjustment brakes into adjustment, I think the idea is that they maintain adjustment...... you have to adjust them upon assembly.

Well, sort of yes and sort of no.

The auto adjusters work by a "clearance" type of deal.

The way it works is when there's enough clearance/wear for the slaves to push the shoes out a certain amount, it pulls the adjuster arm up on to the next "cog" on the adjuster wheel. The adjuster arm is pulled up because one end of the shoes are "fixed" (ie: the pivot end) and the other ends are "floating " on the slave pistons. When the pressure is released from the slave cylinder the springs pull the shoes back in. When the shoes are pulled back in, the adjuster arm rotates (pushed down or up, depending on the design) the adjuster to take up the clearance/wear.

When you consider how (relatively) slowly shoes wear, you can see how there's not a lot of adjustment usually needed. Big movements on waaay out of adjustment shoes from the get go could either take a long time to tighten up, or maybe never.

Drum brakes kind of warp your mind thinking about it until you see it in action. Then it makes perfect sense....