Oil Pressure Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TR185

Reaction score
What does everyone's trucks usually run at a hot idle and hot WOT? 2000 5.7 is what I have, curious to hear what everyone else says.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will never get the same answer outta most of us... waaaayyyy to many variables. But the general rule of thumb on most chevy/gmc is 10 psi per 1k rpm...

sent from what use to be a great country...

TR185

Reaction score
Mine runs about 20-25 at a hot idle, and 40-45 when in the throttle. I just bought the truck, PO said it was due for an oil change so we will see if that changes it at all.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has approx 35 Psig at idle 800 rpm.
It goes up to 40-45 as I rev it up.
All of these pressures on a warmed up engine.

TR185

Reaction score
Mine has approx 35 Psig at idle 800 rpm.
It goes up to 40-45 as I rev it up.
All of these pressures on a warmed up engine.
Seems like everyone's is different. I do a simple Google search and I find that alot of them are very close to mine but then I ask on here and everyone's are above mine.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally would like see no less than 28-30 Psig @ idle on a good healthy engine. Specially on the later year/model engines since they have tighter bearing specs.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You first have to determine is everyone using an actual mechanical gauge, then wonder if they are using the same gauge or where they have it hooked to.

Because I have no idea what my oil pressure is, really, if I remember correctly, the gauge on these trucks is run off a three position switch.

TR185

Reaction score
I personally would like see no less than 28-30 Psig @ idle on a good healthy engine. Specially on the later year/model engines since they have tighter bearing specs.
My truck only has 116K and appears as if it was maintained very well.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You first have to determine is everyone using an actual mechanical gauge, then wonder if they are using the same gauge or where they have it hooked to.

Because I have no idea what my oil pressure is, really, if I remember correctly, the gauge on these trucks is run off a three position switch.

Mine has the OEM gauge and it does not act like 3 position switch. It does move around and measures In between pressures. A three position switch would only give 3 readings and one of them would be zero(because it goes to zero when the engine is off). So that would leave you with measuring two other pressure readings, not sure what those would be.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Mine has the OEM gauge and it does not act like 3 position switch. It does move around and measures In between pressures. A three position switch would only give 3 readings and one of them would be zero(because it goes to zero when the engine is off). So that would leave you with measuring two other pressure readings, not sure what those would be.

1. 5-volts supply
2. ground
3. signal to pcm

Pcm then moves the needle. Not exactly the most accurate reading out there, but good enough, because basically if you have some oil pressure, it won't explode. But it accounts for why everyone is different by 5-10 psi.