oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birchhatchery

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a 97 gmc sierra 2500 4x4 with a 5.7 vortec motor it has a oil leak from the front driver side of the motor I was wondering what could possibly be leaking oil from that side? its got a brush guard/steel plate that's coverd in oil dripping off it on driver side it be until the weekend until I get the plate off to see what could be leaking. my thoughts are either timing gear seal or do these have oil cooler lines? I really have no idea as when you look up everything is coverd in oil:banghead:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Oil cooler lines....don't bother buying new ones, just make your own. You can learn how in my build thread. Or you can eliminate them. Some people just delete them, but being lifted I wanted to keep them.

birchhatchery

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
and we are talking Motor Oil cooler lines? the fluid is either motor oil or power steering. I looked underneath the motor only things that are wet is the under the power steering and under the power steering pulley but nothing major other than that the 2 lines in front of that are wet I've check my oil today and last Saturday it has stayed at the same level on the dip stick so it must not be leaking substantially just must looks like it. when I changed oil month ago when I first bought truck it was a quart low

birchhatchery

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
can I just plug them off at the filter ill that hurt the motor? I don't want to put a older filter on can I just block them? by putting in plugs

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
You can just plug them. It won't harm it much unless you are lifted / tow. Your running temps might go up a little during the summer if your putting the truck to work. People on here plug them and have no issues, its up to you. My take on it is the gm engineers added the oil cooler for a reason. You can get a straight down filter housing w/o cooler lines of you want. I think c1500's have them.