Oil Cooler Leak and "quick connector"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob249

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truck is a 1994 GMC yukon 2dr, 5.7 TBI. Noticed an oil leak a few days ago from my oil cooler lines, after doing some research about it, it turns out the aftermarket "quick connect" fittings are very prone to leakage. I have been seeing other people changing that quick connect to a hose barb, then cutting and flaring the aluminum tube from the radiator. Seems to me that a simple clamp on hose would work fine. I live pretty far from a parts store, and since my backup vehicle was just stolen, i need to be sure i have the correct fittings before i start taking things apart. I believe the oil filter adapter end with the quick connect is a 3/8 inverted flare, and the radiator side is an O ring. Has anyone else on here converted that oil cooler line to a hose? Remember the size of the fittings? Thanks.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many of us, myself included, just ditch that adapter all together. If you do not haul 24/7 you can get rid of it and go old school... you'll need a melling oil filter adapter part number "mfa350" and will need 2 bolts. I do not remember the bolt size, but plenty of threads on here with the size in them.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rob249

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, have you towed since deleting the cooler? My truck does tow often, up grades, and at high speeds. Sure would make things easier without it though.

rob249

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like the adapter is 3/8 npt. So the real question is the radiator connection. Its an o-ring, could i just replace that with a brass hose barb with thread sealant?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting, have you towed since deleting the cooler? My truck does tow often, up grades, and at high speeds. Sure would make things easier without it though.
Yup. All the time actually when I was in Texas. Towed my offroad only rig to the parks all the time. And this last time when I moved from Texas back to NH. Had a 6x12(I think that was the size) uhaul enclosed trailer maxed out weight wise, well probably over weieght... motor and trans(i have a trans gauge)) has never over heated on any pull or during the more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PH5 filter? Bigger filter because there is more space?
The factory filter is a smaller metric one. It won't work with old style adapter, nor is it big enough to seal against the block

I can't find my extra adapter, but it bolts right in there. You need 2x 5/16 course thread bolts 3/4 or 1in long. And to save you the confusion later. There's no gasket. No silicone. Just bolt it in

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: