Odd down shift 4-3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camok10

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok 97 k1500 350 4l60e

Ok, if I'm cruising about 75 and accelerate enough for a down shift the truck free rev's like neutral. 65-70 truck down shifts like it should above 80 it just in locks torque converter. There are no slips flares or binds when up or down shifting other than what ever this would be considered and only right around 75.

Has any one had any thing similar or any insight to what it may be. This weekend I'm going to hook it up to the solus and watch to see if the shift silonoids are working properly.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bad forward sprag... When you are driving in overdrive, around 60-65 it will kick down to 2nd gear on full throttle. That puts mega pressure on the sprag. When you get up to 80, it just kicks back to third. Very common problem. Most shops will sell you a rebuild on this failure. The sprag isn't completely failed, probably just worn down into the race. It will fail soon, and won't take off in D or OD. Will have to pull down to manual low to take off and shift up.

camok10

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would make sence. The torque management has been removed with the chip it has.