Obd1 scanner recommendations.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A scanner is kind of a long-term investment. A guy almost ought to take his time and look at what other scanning needs (other vehicles) he has, his budget, true-needs, and get a scanner that is the best fit for him, now and several years in the future. Once you get the current issue with your OBS truck ironed out, you may not need to use an OBD1 scanner on it for another 5 years (or you might need one in 2 more weeks).

There are a lot of real good phone and tablet-based OBDII software out there too now. Depending on how serious, or not, you take your DIY repairs. And further, for some makes, like Chrysler, for example, let's say you had a Ram and other Chrysler products, there is Alfa OBD which, for $50 (plus cable) is very comprehensive manufacturer-specific phone or tablet-based software. Then there's a pretty good GM-specific software which I've heard guys say is pretty good ....but I haven't used it.

Do your current OTC OBD1 connectors work with a newer OTC Genisys obd1/2 scan tool? I see a lot of inexpensive 'used' ones on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/125382344287
If you like the OTC system, and some of your parts/pieces are backward compatible with a Genisys, perhaps that makes more sense for you. Genisys scanners had a good fan-base in their day, still do.

Last edited: