o2 sensor question!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
The TBI only has one O2 sensor, Vortecs have 4, 2 upstream and 2 downstream. Plus the TBI did not come with dual exhaust (FWIR), you may have an issue with emissions inspection because it has been modified, if you get a ***** for an official.

Automatic fail in Cali, ***** or not. Headers will fail him without a EO number.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Headers will fail him without a EO number.
Yeah - that's a CARB (California Air Resource Board) Executive Order. My Summit Racing shorty headers have one. You can look up your headers or similar ones with the EO and maybe fake it? I have EOs for them, my heads, and cam (not quite the same one, ha ha). Keep copies in my glove box.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Yeah - that's a CARB (California Air Resource Board) Executive Order. My Summit Racing shorty headers have one. You can look up your headers or similar ones with the EO and maybe fake it? I have EOs for them, my heads, and cam (not quite the same one, ha ha). Keep copies in my glove box.

I was licensed in Cali for testing for over 12 years, worked for the BAR for a short time. I'm intimately familiar with California emissions laws.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a tap that I used for repairing O2 sensor threads.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K1JY7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is supposedly a "Vermont American" tap, except that it's not made in Vermont, or anywhere in America. It's a piece-of-crap Communist Chinese unit, and because it's a "plug" tap, the threads don't taper nearly enough. There's other choices on Amazon, but almost all of them are also Chinese, and also plug taps. You really want a starting tap, not a plug tap.

Two uses on Stainless pipe bungs (cleaning-out damaged threads from seized O2 sensor removal) and now it's mildly chipped 'n' broken.

OTOH, it's not $90. It's ~$18 now, and $12.69 when I bought it in May '19. No, I would not buy it again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers