NV4500 Manual Swap into my 4-dr Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I've been considering an NV4500 swap to hold up to a 5.3 or 6.0, but I think it will be a bit rough for me. I drive around town mostly. My truck is more of a luxury truck, and I want a nice slick shifting manual. Has anyone ever tried swapping an NV3500 for a 3550?

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
Yeah I considered changing the input shaft but it would have cost more than twice as much and I would have had to strip down my already haggard T-case. I was able to find the one I needed for 100 bucks so that was a score. Unfortunately the front driveshaft has a flat flange so I may need to find the matching front driveshaft in a boneyard.

So 12" clutches are known to chatter? Never heard that before. Guess ill have to dig a little deeper. My biggest concern was whether I could fit it or not.

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
Check out the pedals...finished the wiring and installation today.

You must be registered for see images

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks just like my pedals lol. i have thought of converting my other less than favorite gmt400s. is it hard to do?

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
It really wasnt. The biggest part was re-routing all my existing new accessory and stereo wires out of the way of the new pedal swing. Surprisingly the upper mount studs were in place from the factory. Even though a clutch pedal was never put into this 4-door body style. I had to get an 90 degree angle drill to cut the necessary opening through the firewall, which GM also had marked out with a punch in the center to make it easy. My hole saw stopped cutting 1/3 of the way through though and I had to file the blades back three times before I got through the firewall. Also I didnt swap out the brake pedal. I just cut it shorter and used the proper pad from the donor truck.

My new 400 flywheel arrived today. I have been following 88GMCtruck's swap over on GMFS for info. Seems he went with the Hays 90-103 clutch and loves it. The clutch is listed for diesel applications and the jegs page says that even though its got a larger than OE disc, it will fit on the OE flywheel. Im still skeptical how this is possible because a 12.25 disc overlaps the threaded pressure plate mount holes.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good work man you must be getting very excited! What are you going to do with the tranny you are removing?

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
I dont have any immediate plans for the 4l60 I had in there. I paid almost 2 grand for that tranny so its full of hop ups. It probably wouldnt take much to fix the low reverse issue. If you know anyone that wants it let me know. The company that built it offered to do a full rebuild and reinstatement of the warranty for a grand. If someone wanted a sick 4l60e for a grand then it would be an excellent place to start.