NV4500 internal to external

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a 2000 nv4500 out of a gmc 3500. It's the internal throw out bearing. I'm putting it in my 95 with an external. Has anyone converted a internal style to a external? I can get a external bell housing fairly easily.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The front bearing support is different and so is the hole in the case for it. I don't feel it's an easy conversion at all, especially since IIRC the newer style has a larger hole in the case.

This discussion came up a while back and it was someone on here or maybe on FSC going on about how trivial it was to swap them out but it sounded to me like he was an experienced machinist and knocked things like that out in his spare time, not necessarily a DIY job at all for the casual wrencher.

Richard

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front bearing support is different and so is the hole in the case for it. I don't feel it's an easy conversion at all, especially since IIRC the newer style has a larger hole in the case.

This discussion came up a while back and it was someone on here or maybe on FSC going on about how trivial it was to swap them out but it sounded to me like he was an experienced machinist and knocked things like that out in his spare time, not necessarily a DIY job at all for the casual wrencher.

Richard

Yeah I think I know the one your talking about if so he went the opposite way, external to internal.
I guess it world be kinda the same process my way though. Hum I have the slave cylinder out of the truck too. Think that would bolt up in my truck without further mods?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Putting the newer transmission with the internal slave into your older truck is easy. The hard (kinda) part is making the matching master cylinder fit correctly. Instead of bolting to the firewall, it has tabs that mate with a bracket that goes on the other side of the firewall; it clocks into it and what holds it tight is the fit between the two - accomplished by a stepped hole in the sheetmetal. The firewall is a couple (or maybe three) layers of sheetmetal in that area, and they have two different sized holes. I did the newer setup into a '94 and I'll tell you it was a little bit of a pain to grind the hole out large enough, and deal with the fact that there's no way you can make it a stepped hole without doing some major surgery like chopping the whole section out and grafting in one from the newer truck. My way worked fine though, just a pain to get it right.

Richard

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
You might be able to get a step drill from MSCdirect.com but i dont know how big they go. Just a thought.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Talking about two different sized holes in just a piece of sheetmetal, bonded to another piece of sheetmetal. Not sure how you're gonna pull that off with a step bit.

Example:
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the info. Is it possible to keep the master in the 95 and just pull that roll pin out and swap in the newer style line? If so that would be easy... I think

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've never had them apart to compare the line styles to see if they would work. In my swap I was committed to everything being serviceable as if the truck was a factory-built 1996 model (what the engine, trans, and many other parts came from) so that trips to the parts house, etc. would result in minimum of confusion. Basically from the frame up the truck was a 1996; some of the suspension parts on a 1994 HD are a little different though.

Richard