2005 NV4500 with internal slave in my 92

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a shop swap my automatic out for a NV4500 they rebuilt. Now I need to hook up the hydraulics. They put a internal slave in it. I’d like to use a 92 master cylinder. There’s another thread on here I was reading, but it didn’t end with any solution. One post said the 05 and 92 masters have the same diameter master, which was encouraging. If anybody can tell me how they did theirs I’d appreciate it. I put a 96 dodge NV4500 in my 97 with the newer master that fit the diamond hole in the firewall, from Perfection Clutch. That was a pre bled assembly with the old external slave and the newer diamond snap-in master. But this Chevy project is the reverse, an old master with a newer, internal slave. Thanks

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Meant to ask, does a bell housing that’s for an internal slave have a rubber boot covering the hole the line goes through, and if so is the bleeder supposed to go throo that boot also? The dealer here didn’t find any mention of a boot

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Everything I've read says you have to match slaves to masters...internal slave needs 1996+ master, external slaves need 1995- master

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The nternal slave type masters mount in a diamond shape hole in the firewall, that’s one reason for matching them. Let me know if there’s another reason. It’s not hard to find external (pre-96) masters the same dimensions ( volume size) as the internal types that you are replacing. From what I’ve read you just match the diameters of the two bores. Wilwood and Perfection give those bore sizes.
If I have to I’ll put a piece of sheet metal with the diamond hole for a 2005 master, but my 92 has the three holes in the firewall for the bolt-in master.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everything I've read says you have to match slaves to masters...internal slave needs 1996+ master, external slaves need 1995- master
The nternal slave type masters mount in a diamond shape hole in the firewall, that’s one reason for matching them. Let me know if there’s another reason. It’s not hard to find external (pre-96) masters the same dimensions ( volume size) as the internal types that you are replacing. From what I’ve read you just match the diameters of the two bores. Wilwood and Perfection give those bore sizes. If I have to I’ll put a piece of sheet metal with the diamond hole for a 2005 master, but my 92 has the three holes in the firewall for the bolt-in master.
The nternal slave type masters mount in a diamond shape hole in the firewall, that’s one reason for matching them. Let me know if there’s another reason. It’s not hard to find external (pre-96) masters the same dimensions ( volume size) as the internal types that you are replacing. From what I’ve read you just match the diameters of the two bores. Wilwood and Perfection give those bore sizes.
If I have to I’ll put a piece of sheet metal with the diamond hole for a 2005 master, but my 92 has the three holes in the firewall for the bolt-in master.
The main reason for sticking with the old style bolt-on master is that the direction of the pushrod is level because the travel of the brake pedal makes it level. I don’t see how a 96+ master could work with the original pedal lever. The later style masters I have seen have a very steep angle down going out.