NV3500 to NV4500 swap w/ NP241

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I,ve gotten a $hitload of mixed info on fluid. I had a factory parts "expert" tell me to use 5w30 motor oil fer christsake! Most folks use GM synchromash but I've also seen that it's Pennzoil synchromesh with a stealership markup.

BTW my 3500 takes 2 QUARTS only. Sometimes I'm convinced the factory says 2.2 and 2.4 quarts just to make an extra buck offa the extra quart.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I do remember mine taking 2 litres, and a lil extra. I needed 3 jugs @ $10-$11 a bottle. Probably could get away with just two though, it was juuust below the bottom of fill plug.
Lol @ running the 5w30 in there, yikes.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was doing the same (3500-4500 swap) and had the exact same thoughts. Eventually through reading I found the 3500 input shaft is only rated to 300ft lbs of torque. My truck sits around 400hp and I thought it would take the abuse. I drove it on the street, using 4x4 once in a blue moon (snowstorm). It only lasted 4 months before I lost 1st, 5th, and reverse. The hard part over where I live is finding the nv4500. I ended up driving way into the mountains in PA for mine it was 600$ with the granny low and belhousing so it was worth it. As far as the swap goes its supposed to be a direct fit. The only thing you can run into is if you got one with an internal slave cylinder you will need to find the clutch parts that go with that. And I never had trouble running Quakerstate synchromesh fluid in my tranny before I hopped the motor up. I'm actually going to start the swap today.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Good info. Thx. Again tho, I have a stock motor with stock torque. So the 4500 isn't needed. If I ever mod to a higher HP/TRQ then I would definitely upgrade to the 4500.