NV3500 rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So the 5 speed gets grouchy when the clutch is pushed in between 1st and 2nd gear. Kinda like a grinding noise but goes away when letting off the clutch. Don't do it all the time tho. So I'm thinking the servo's are worn out and looking to rebuild the transmission myself. Who here has done it and did you need to buy any special tools? I will make my own pallet to hold the gear sets.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm really good at making myself look like an idiot. But here's my 2 cents

Sounds like the throw-out bearing, but could be the pilot bearing.

And I'm pretty sure manuals don't have servos

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He probably means syncos, not servos.
If the noise comes and goes with clutch pedal action it's most likely the throw out bearing. Pilot bearing would squeal all the time if it was bad

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh ok. Well synchronizers are easy to check. Start the truck up and without touching the clutch GENTLY push the shifter into gear. If nothing happens syncros are good. If it grinds it's bad

But yeah. It's probably just the throw-out bearing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yes I meant synchro's. A brand new throw out bearing can go bad that fast huh? Probably only 300-400 miles on it. Also wouldn't it do it all the time if the throw out bearing was bad? I will test the synchro's like you mentioned.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea it could be bad if it was a Chinese bearing. Did you use a name brand ?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the noise comes and goes with clutch pedal action it's most likely the throw out bearing. Pilot bearing would squeal all the time if it was bad
A pilot bushing would only squeal when the clutch is depressed. The rest of the time the input shaft is turning the same speed as the engine. Do the manuals have pilot bushings or pilot bearings? A pilot bushing will squeal, while a pilot bearing will grind - but you likely wouldn't hear it. The synchros would grind as you move the shifter into a specific gear. If it's grinding while the clutch pedal is down, it's likely the throwout bearing, but if it's bad enough a throwout can grind whenever the engine is running. A mainshaft bearing will grind while the vehicle's in motion with the clutch in or out. An input or countershaft bearing will grind with the clutch out, sitting in neutral, or rolling with the clutch depressed, but in gear while coasting.

It's been a few years since I've thought this stuff through, so feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Picking up an NV3500 today locally for 100 bucks. Gonna tear it down and rebuild it then swap it in the truck. I will have a look at the throw out bearing and pilot bushing while I'm in there. Also wanna see if there are any bad marks on the clutch and FW.

Reaction score
Well just an update. I found out the shifter tower that bolts to the top of the trans was worn out and had too much slop. The gears were not meshing properly due to the slop. I used the other tower that came with the trans I bought. All is good and has been good. No more funky noise between shifts.