nv3500 poring gear oil out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 5 speed is puking gear oil out like crazy!
Done a 4.8 motor swap, truck is running good, new clutch kit and rear tail seal and a 5-6 minute drive it dumps every bit of 2.5 quarts out! Iv already spent $90 on gear oil so far, 5 quarts for this one reason (2.5 before the new seal and the other 2.5 after the new seal) and the other 3 cause I had to pull my transmission back and I spilt it all!
I have no clue were it could be coming from with it going bone dry in a 5 or 6 minute drive. I'm also sure it only comes out when driving.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok was wondering if it was to thick of a gear oil but thats one of the types listed for those trans,how was the front seal and can you see any moist areas where it looks like it may be running from?

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every thing is drenched under there, and I'm sure its completely empty now so there's nothing left to run out to find the leak and I can't afford to start throwing $10 a qaurt at it to find it. I may limp it to a shop and have them find it...
Also, I think it doesn't matter if the truck is moving or not cause were I backed it out of my garage and had it ideling there was a big puddle (my drive way is on a good little slope)

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, I don't think its the front seal, only drenched from about the shifter back

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turns out that it was the seal that goes between the shift tow and transmission was not put back in. I didn't even know it had one to begin with and it some how got kicked under the seat and never put back on. I was just putting a fine bead of rtv gasket and there are little legs on the shift tower that are 1/4-3/8" tall allowing it to splash out as the gears picked the fluid up and was slinging it out the top. So $100 worth of gear oil later, I think I found the colpret.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad I found it too, the cost of gear oil was getting up there