Noob here with a 91 rclb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Been reading through alot of threads here. I own a 91 rclb that has a mildly built sbc. I swapped the turbo 400 for a NV3500 right before christmas last year. My only issue is the POS fitech 400 horse system I installed over 3 years ago. I've never been able to dial it in and be happy with it. I just learned to live with it's lack of reliability they claimed it had. Since the 5 speed was installed the rpm's hang around 2500-3000ish when pushing clutch to the floor. It will idle down if I stab the fast pedal. I have adjusted it and to no avail. So I'm going to remove it and go back to a carb like I had before. Thing is the edelbroke that was on the motor is not what I'm gonna run. I want to know who is running a carb'd sbc on their truck and what are you running. I'm looking at the holley 3310 in the 670 cfm with electric choke. I will get some pic's posted pretty soon.

Reaction score
I have more somewhere in my fone.

You must be registered for see images attach

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Q-jet 750
I have a 94 that I swapped to a nv3500 and with in the week the tbi motor kicked the first bucket when a rod bearing decided to jump on top of the other... ended up getting an entire running 84 engine and swapped it in, pulled most of the wire harness off, only kept the wires for gauges and swapped to the serpentine accessory drive. For now the carb has stock settings and am extremely happy with how well it works (better than the tbi ever did )

Here is what the rod bearing did lmao...

Reaction score
Damn that's a good job it did! I have another sbc that was in the truck when I bought it. The 700 was **** so I never really got to see what it could do. I had the current motor built for a truck I sold to my stepson. The motor I took out is an 010 block with the camel back heads. I do know it had a pretty good cam and a gear drive in it. I'm gonna tear it down and see what is inside here real soon.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check this out - carb sizing on the bottom of the page. I have a 46mm TB with 18lb spring (from SPR Performance) which flows ~650CFM and plenty of fuel at 5,000 RPM where I have my 700r4 shifting. It may not matter but, a 91 SBC with a carb will not pass emissions.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/racing-calculators

Reaction score
I don't have to worry about smog/emissions where I live so I can pretty much build any motor the way I want.

Check this out - carb sizing on the bottom of the page. I have a 46mm TB with 18lb spring (from SPR Performance) which flows ~650CFM and plenty of fuel at 5,000 RPM where I have my 700r4 shifting. It may not matter but, a 91 SBC with a carb will not pass emissions.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/racing-calculators

Reaction score
So the motor is a short block. Not sure what the cam is tho it has 2434 SR with 1-31-95 stamped in it and between the lobes a CWC and an F5. Does have a gear drive. I'm gonna look for a stroker kit and have my machinist go through the block for me and make sure its all clean and good to be stroked!

Reaction score
Change of plans. Gonna keep the motor in the truck and swap the cam, springs with some gasket matching on the ports, ditch the fitech for a built Q-jet and install the wideband to help tune the motor.

Reaction score
Gonna do this hop up in stages. First thing was to remove the fitech and rebuild the edelbrock the truck came with. I found during the rebuild why the carb refused to tune. Some parts were missing, floats way out of adjustment and the accelrator pump spring was shorter than the new one. Anyway I installed a new mech fuel pump back on the block and installed a new pickup in the tank with an extension adapted with a sock. Found out while trying to start the truck to no avail that I had the pump lines assbackwards. Put them on the correct fitting and it lit right off and idled nicely. Let her warm up and started to rev it a lil bit. The engine is far more responsive than it ever was with the efi junk system. Now to finish getting the wiring I cut from the efi system back to normal, get the timing dialed in and then tune the carb. I have to get a pod for the AFR gauge and wire it in. Then the test drive.

Stage 2 of this hop up will consist of the new cam, lifters and head work after I do some more work to the chevelle.

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
< try watching this. and also have you tried the fitech helpline?Honestly there is no reason a carb should do better than the throttle body efi. It is usually user error.