noisey transfer case 97 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buddyp

Reaction score
I bought a 97 Silverado 3wks ago and have noticed an occasional clunk that seem to be from the tcase.It only happens in 4wd.Truck has $4000 worth of repairs to the engine and drive line when I bought it.Lately when I have it in 4wd high and low it has this clunk when I just start moving forward.The mechanic that did most of the previous work does not seem to know anything about tcase's but did say the noise is coming from there.Another mechanic in a different shop did not listen for the noise and just said replace the whole case ($1500 or so he thinks) I'd rather fix it myself.Any suggestions as to what it could be? The truck sounds and drives fine otherwise and I am just using 2wd till it's fixed. Took Red Devil to transmission shop today 12/27 owner says that front drive line is fine but for some reason the transfer case is not sending power to the front.He thinks the shifting fork could be toast.

Last edited:

grantxurismo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds something along those lines of the shifting fork...
replace the whole case would most likely be the way to go
start trolling the junk yards