NO SPARK vortec 5.7 ran fine then wouldnt start!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris kesl

Reaction score
I have a 1998 gmc 5.7 vortec, and it ran fine when I pulled up at a local home depot, then wouldnt start after I wanted to leave. I replaced the fuel pump with a gm part 2 weeks ago, and it has worked fine so as I encountered this problem I looked towards the fuel pump relay and it looked swollen or bulging so I replaced it with no luck then decided to check for spark, and had none so I had it towed. I pressed the schrader valve on the fuel line and it spewed out fuel also I hear the fuel pump kick on when keyed power is turned on. I have noticed that the fuel gauge needle is showing way past full with the keyed power on or if no power is delivered from the ignition key which is odd and have never before noticed. I have removed the dizzy cap and looked for anything dirty or out of place and it looked good. I have got the parts from a local pick n pull including ignition coil, crank sensor after looking at 25 vehicles I found 1 so seems to be problematic, cam sensor or ignition pickup from inside distributer, and ignition componet that is mounted to the same bracket as the coil connected to the heat sink. I have the hopes someone else has had luck fixing this problem and would be so kind to steer me in the right direction. The truck is a 98 gmc 5.7 with 160,000mi and taken care of and well maintained. thanks in advance for taking a look. I have decided to replace one of the parts that I have on hand one at a time to rule out which one it might then whenever I find out what fixes it I will purchase new from parts store.

chris kesl

Reaction score

chris kesl

Reaction score
Could be the crank sensor.
Thanks for looking. I have a used one from the pick pull that I am going to install today to see if I can get it going. I have 4 used ignition parts that I will install one at a time until I rule each out then when I find the problem I will replace the used part that fixed it with a new one.