No reverse???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler Rude

Reaction score
Does anyone have some info? I have a 96 Tahoe 4x4, 5.7 vortec, with a 4l60e I belive, and right at 87,000 miles. And its been shifting fine except when I drive for more than an hour or so it starts shifting really hard. I checked the fluid and it was really high so I pumped about a quart out so now every time I check the fluid it's perfect level except its bubbly tho it dosnt smell burnt or anything. yesterday I was driving it for about 45 mins and it started shifting hard again. So I decided to take it home and when I start to reverse into the driveway I just here a big "clank" and some gears grinding then nothing. My forward gears still work tho they aren't shifting properly they rev really high before they shift but still work. Any answers? I'm pretty sure the filters never been changed so I'm thinking that might be the problem. I'm not really a transmission guy tho.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First.... the shifting hard after driving is a P1870 code im sure. The computer see's a slip in the torque converter after driving, sets the code, then harsh shifts. After you you cycle the key, it resets the computer then all is fine until it sets again. Second... the sunshell is now stripped. You will lose reverse, second, and forth. Basically it's time for a rebuild.