No Power To VSS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Va6622

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Silverado 5.7 350, automatic. Speedometer stopped working. Replaced speed sensor. Speedometer still didn't work. With engine running, I checked for power at connector that plugs into the sensor. Not sure what voltage should be but my voltmeter showed zero volts. Its a purple/white stripped wire and a yellow wire. Any help appreciated.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
VSS is a hall effect sensor. You wont have any voltage on that with out the truck driving. Basically as the metal tone wheel goes past the magnet in the sensor, it creates a voltage pulse between the two wires. If you replaced the sensor and it didn't fix it, you either have a broken wire somewhere or a bad gauge.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you replaced the sensor and it didn't fix it, you either have a broken wire somewhere or a bad gauge.
Or a bad DRAC/VSSB which is mounted on the cluster for 88-91 models. The VSS sends the signal (~2000 PPM) to the DRAC/VSSB which converts the signal and sends it to the speedometer.

Va6622

Reaction score
Should I look for a schematic to locate the DRAC/VSSB on the cluster and also, how could I test it to see if it is bad?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I look for a schematic to locate the DRAC/VSSB on the cluster and also, how could I test it to see if it is bad?
Here's some FSMs