No Fuel or Spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An addition to my previous post--IF (big IF) the oil pump is locked-up, it would likely shear the roll-pin on the distributor gear.

You could have a distributor that worked perfectly, install it in the engine, and when you cranked it, the roll-pin shears and the distributor doesn't turn.

But you'd have maybe noticed this when you removed the original distributor--turning the gear doesn't turn the distributor shaft; in fact the gear might fall off the shaft entirely.

94ChevyZ71

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, work and school are killing me this week and trying to fix my truck on top of all of that doesn't help. Thanks for the suggestions but here is my new situation. The distributor in the truck spins when I crank it so that rules out some of the suggestions. My truck now starts and will run but it runs poorly when the (correct me if I'm wrong) EST plug that is under the dash is plugged in. If I unplug the EST connector under the dash and start my truck it runs fine. I've ordered a new distributor from jegs so I should get to try it out in the next day or so when it gets here. I'm stumped as to why my truck will barely stay running with the timing plug connected so if anyone has a solution to that issue I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks

94ChevyZ71

Reaction score
An addition to my previous post--IF (big IF) the oil pump is locked-up, it would likely shear the roll-pin on the distributor gear.

You could have a distributor that worked perfectly, install it in the engine, and when you cranked it, the roll-pin shears and the distributor doesn't turn.

But you'd have maybe noticed this when you removed the original distributor--turning the gear doesn't turn the distributor shaft; in fact the gear might fall off the shaft entirely.
Both of the distributors that I tried looked fine when I checked them. I didn't notice any scarred teeth and when I spun the gear on the bottom the rotary buttons spun so I'm assuming they are good.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck now starts and will run but it runs poorly when the (correct me if I'm wrong) EST plug that is under the dash is plugged in. If I unplug the EST connector under the dash and start my truck it runs fine.
Failed wire harness between distributor and ECM
Failed ECM/PROM
Failed ignition module (less likely because you've had problems when using several distributors--which I assume means several different modules.)

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the distributor is not consistently getting power it would do that. My ignition switch in my column screwed me for a long time. Occasionally while trying to diagnose the truck it would work for a second and the truck would begin to start then die.