No air on driver vent only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, how long are you keeping the truck?

Short of positioning the damper closed and blocking it off with some foam or something, you’d have to pull the dash and replace the damper.

Since the other dampers are probably marginal as well, I’d buy the whole box (which includes the upper dampers) instead. Of course, that snowballs into replacing the other air doors and whatever else you see fit to swap while there.

Lower damper:

You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I posted before you posted the pictures. The damper looks to be missing the thin flexible part along the edges. It can bend back and forth. Compare with the photo below, the red arrow points to what was left of the flex seal on mine. It was torn.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s mine (new damper) in the floor position so you can see the thin seal.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I posted before you posted the pictures. The damper looks to be missing the thin flexible part along the edges. It can bend back and forth. Compare with the photo below, the red arrow points to what was left of the flex seal on mine. It was torn.

Mine doesn’t have that on it man. Should I replace the lower damper? I Wally do not wanna pull the dash and I’m fine with just adding weatherstripping or sumn in there as long as my ac works better I live in louisiana and it’s hot as hell

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear you, I’m next door to you and it’s getting warm. The box has to come apart to replace the damper, which means the dash needs to come out as well.

One option is to position the damper closed, cut a piece of foam and fit it under the damper to block it off. The risk would be if you changed the vent position and jammed it up. I don’t know.

I swapped them out on my two 98s, I’ve got a write-up on here somewhere about pulling the dash. It’s not that bad, maybe a weekend the first time you do it. I will say that my a/c isn’t bad now but the airflow is still nothing like a newer car. Before, I hated driving in the summer.

Close the two passenger vents and you’ll get a little more flow out of the vent above the cup holder.

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s mine (new damper) in the floor position so you can see the thin seal.

Mine doesn’t have that flap piece or the seal piece. Could I glue one on or something? Or block it and see if it fixes it?

_nickjoseph

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear you, I’m next door to you and it’s getting warm. The box has to come apart to replace the damper, which means the dash needs to come out as well.

One option is to position the damper closed, cut a piece of foam and fit it under the damper to block it off. The risk would be if you changed the vent position and jammed it up. I don’t know.

I swapped them out on my two 98s, I’ve got a write-up on here somewhere about pulling the dash. It’s not that bad, maybe a weekend the first time you do it. I will say that my a/c isn’t bad now but the airflow is still nothing like a newer car. Before, I hated driving in the summer.

Close the two passenger vents and you’ll get a little more flow out of the vent above the cup holder.
I’ll close them. Should I block it and see if it helps flow?