No 12v constant on my aftermarket radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
It's a 93 silverado, had the geek squad over at best buy put in a Kenwood single din radio a few years back, now the damn thing won't turn on. The yellow wire on the original harness is getting 12v for the ignition but none of them are getting constant 12 volts, the radio fuse under the dash is good but unfortunately I don't know what wires go where.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
There's the radio ignition fuse, and the radio battery wire (orange), which comes from your Ctsy fuse (do your dome lights work?)

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kenwood has this nice little "security" thing that happens if your battery gets low. The radio quits and won't turn back on as part of its anti theft stuff. What usually works (and I would try this first) is to disconnect the plus wire from the battery for about 30 seconds. This will clear the "state" of the radio and it should work as normal. Try that first before you start on the wiring.

Geek and company could have hooked it to the wrong wire (like the cigar lighter) and the fuse could have blown. If you get into it make sure radio positive is hooked to the orange wire and then make sure the fuse is good. First though, try the disconnect from battery trick. Don't ask how I found this out.

Reaction score
Kenwood has this nice little "security" thing that happens if your battery gets low. The radio quits and won't turn back on as part of its anti theft stuff. What usually works (and I would try this first) is to disconnect the plus wire from the battery for about 30 seconds. This will clear the "state" of the radio and it should work as normal. Try that first before you start on the wiring.

Geek and company could have hooked it to the wrong wire (like the cigar lighter) and the fuse could have blown. If you get into it make sure radio positive is hooked to the orange wire and then make sure the fuse is good. First though, try the disconnect from battery trick. Don't ask how I found this out.
I'll have to keep this in mind just in case, thanks for that bit of info!