Nickle-Copper brake tubing (Making flares)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's cool, never seen one like that! For the price and as many times I need to flare tubing (i think the last time I did any was 15+ years ago), I'll send mine to you to do it :biggrin:

It's so worth it, the whole thing mounts in a vice and is rock solid. Makes perfect flares every time.

Being in new england it gets lots of use.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the current version of my flaring set. My set is older. Being hand-held, it's nice for making flares "on the vehicle". Never had a problem when flaring steel tubing. The NiCopp has me befuddled, though. Gonna try again tomorrow.
You must be registered for see images attach

www.mastercool.com/product/72475-universal-hydraulic-flaring-tool-set/

This kit fabricates Push Connect 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8”; GM Fuel Line Flare, Brake Lines and Transmission 5/16 and 3/8”; Flare/Double Flare 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2”; Metric Bubble Flare 4.75, 6, 8, and 10mm.

I've also purchased the 37-degree add-on die set, and the goofy transmission cooler-tube die set.

I have some "legacy" hand-held, screw-pressure flaring, and flaring/swaging sets from decades ago; but they haven't been used except for swaging, since I got the hydraulic unit.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a couple of "test flares" today. The first one was terrible; the second one looked so good I'm gonna use it. Bending the tubing tomorrow, along with reassembly of the right-side brakes and--hopefully--reconnecting the park brake cables.

What scares me is that I don't know what I did differently. I'm thinking it's more my technique than the tool...but I didn't consciously change my technique.

And I still haven't found my coils of steel tubing. Must have put them away somewhere "really safe". They're probably right next to my 37-degree flare set, and the cooler tube die set, which I also can't find.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Made a couple of "test flares" today. The first one was terrible; the second one looked so good I'm gonna use it. Bending the tubing tomorrow, along with reassembly of the right-side brakes and--hopefully--reconnecting the park brake cables.

What scares me is that I don't know what I did differently. I'm thinking it's more my technique than the tool...but I didn't consciously change my technique.
It's a PITA when getting a flare first time isn't happening. By the time a couple of failed attempts on the second flare have been cut off, there's a danger there's not enough length left in the pipe.
And I still haven't found my coils of steel tubing. Must have put them away somewhere "really safe". They're probably right next to my 37-degree flare set, and the cooler tube die set, which I also can't find.
Possibly in my 'safe place'. I'll have a look when I remember where my 'safe place' actually is. All I currently know about it is that it must be pretty big as it's swallowed a shitload of stuff already.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also have one of those hand-held hydraulic flaring tools. Used it a lot when I was a line tech. As previously mentioned, brake/fuel lines here in New England have a half-life of about 3months. But what can be truly frustrating is getting that perfect flare, then you realize you forgot to put on the line nut first

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I messed up a few when I first used NiCop by over tightening them. You can even leave them slightly looking like a double flare and where the material is soft, tightening them up with finish the flare for you. Not sure, but a mechanic down the road told me he bubble flares them all and lets the fitting finish it for him, not sure if there is any truth to that or not but getting them too tight does mess them up.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I messed up a few when I first used NiCop by over tightening them. You can even leave them slightly looking like a double flare and where the material is soft, tightening them up with finish the flare for you. Not sure, but a mechanic down the road told me he bubble flares them all and lets the fitting finish it for him, not sure if there is any truth to that or not but getting them too tight does mess them up.
Yes. I think I've got the system figured-out.

I need to squeeze the first crimp tight, but the second one not-so-tight. It's the second squeeze that--maybe--has been my issue.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever you find that "safe place", check to see if my 10mm ratcheting wrench and my 36" pry bar are there.

What's worse is when you have kids. You blame your kids for losing your tools, and then three months later you find the missing tools at the site of your last project.