Newest Rear Or what's an upgrade for GMT400 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you really wanted to step it up you could get a GMT400 14 bolt FF out of a 3/4 or 1 ton. 8 lug would be your only problem.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
If you really wanted to step it up you could get a GMT400 14 bolt FF out of a 3/4 or 1 ton. 8 lug would be your only problem.

is there not adapters you can get for this? I almost got a 3500 with a ff but it came with the whole truck.. all I wanted was the rear...

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is more work than need be to put a FF 14B in a 1/2 ton. 14BSF is your best bet for simplicity and ruggedness. The 9.5" in the 14BSF is nothing to sneeze at and will hold up well behind almost anything.

RamahX

Reaction score
Will my current u-bolts fit a 14sf 6-lug? Found one for $500. I also understand I need a u-joint '*******' adapter.

And is the G80 in the 14 better/different than the so called gov-bomb in the 10 bolts?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should never reuse u-boltsas they stretch when get tightened down, so always good idea for new ones. But yes the 10 bolt u-bolts will fit.

You can swap yokes if you dont want to run mixed u-joints too.

There doesnt seem to be the failure with the 9.5" G80's as the 8.5" 10 bolt. When I removed mine to put in a real locker it had been putting plenty of metal flakes through the rear housing, could of soon done damage. Also I find them to hardly work at all as a locker, nothing worth bragging about having.

Last edited:

TIGERZ

Reaction score
If you have a pick-a-part yard in your area it would be your cheapest option. You'll have to do more leg work to find a good one and have to remove it yourself, but save a lot of money in the long run.